Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ill be starting from almost scratch. I recently acquired an 84 honda shadow 700 that had some issues. Ive decided to make it my own by converting to a bobber. The problem: I dont know a ton about motorcycles and even less about the parts that go where and work with what. I have the manual from Clymer. I think i know what I want I just need help getting there. Ill be posting pictures soon. What I have done so far... cut off the fairing arms on the sides of the back wheels. Removed the wiring harness (the previous owner ****ed it up fairly bad.) removed the air box. removed the coolant reservoir. removed battery. removed the voltage regulator (this was totally thrashed) Id like to make this a minimalistic bike. SO my plan at this point is to raise the gas tank so i can use on carb filters (bypassing the air box. Is this ok? Ive heard different thoughts on this. ) replacing the reservoir with a steel bottle or maybe a liquer bottle type thing? I like the look. as for where the battery and stuff was Id like to put the ignition the regulator fuse box etc in that area, then close it off with a plate of steel that I can put on a hinge. I will more than likely build a wiring harness myself. So my question is what advice do you guys have? Anyone close to MD want to help?! Ill be working in my basment until its riding season. hopefully i can get this worked out by then. Ill be back with pictures soon! thanks guys!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just keep reading, which will answer some of your questions. A project like that will be a LOT of trial and error, and a lot of research, like making the carbs run nicely with direct filters.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,593 Posts
I have a post somewhere here about home made pod filters I made for my bobber. Be warned that you will need tune your carbs appropriately and thats a lot of trial and error.
20180922_100628.jpg

The overflow bottle nod is easy enough.
20190413_130120.jpg

If you search my posts I have a bunch of diy mods documented.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a post somewhere here about home made pod filters I made for my bobber. Be warned that you will need tune your carbs appropriately and thats a lot of trial and error. View attachment 291685
The overflow bottle nod is easy enough. View attachment 291687
If you search my posts I have a bunch of diy mods documented.
Awesome! Thanks man! You close to md??

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
YES, you will lean a lot about CV carbs and jetting.
It is a situation where you want to get the bobber cleaned up and simplified, but how to get the intake to work and the carbs are happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YES, you will lean a lot about CV carbs and jetting.
It is a situation where you want to get the bobber cleaned up and simplified, but how to get the intake to work and the carbs are happy.
Teach me obi one.... teach me cv carbs

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
Take them off and increase the jet sizes. Try it out, then take them off again, adjust the pods inlet sizes, try it again.
Watch videos about how the CV carbs work under various speeds and loads. That way you can fine tune the area that is failing. No cut and dried chart to flow.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,251 Posts
So do you think removing the airbox will effect the bike and how it runs?
That is a for sure thing. Been there and done that with UNI Pods on my modified '99 750 ACE.
Honda tunes the Shadows with the complete intake system as a whole, any modification to it has consequences both potentially good and bad.
It is doable, but it really require one to look at the carburetor's fuel delivery profile with a fresh view as vacuum response is different.
I'm also a believer in getting a bike running 100% perfectly factory stock as Honda intended before you start f'ing with it.

You can get the bike running with just jet changes or hokey intake restriction mods, but it will never be quite right and never run through the full operating range as well as it could, the last thing one wants is a cool looking and sounding modified bike that can be blown into the weeds by a stock one.
You can read of others work, with my bike with its engine from the the 52 degree family, I had the benefit of reading the mods that people did when working with the Hawk GT on the dyno, seat of the pants and plug reading after removing the air box and putting on pods, it pointed me in the right direction. It took a lot of plug cuts at various ranges for me to slowly get it running right, starting with the main jet at full throttle and working back.
This and the link from it proved invaluable to me. CV Carb Tuning Procedures

The biggest advantage of going to pods, is that it is a lot easier to remove and replace the carbs.
In my opinion that even out weighs the cool noise less restricted intakes make.

You will have your work cut out for you you will not be able to accomplish much until you get outside for testing runs, but you may find some one who has modded one the same and published their jetting.
That should at least get you started, but remember there are no magic solutions other than trial and error and IME everyone seems a little different.

Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts