Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought an 84 shadow vt700c and I've got a few questions. I am totally new to motorcycles so I apologize if I have some Newbie questions or comments. I bought the shadow because it seemed like it would be a great starter bike, and the price was right.

Here's the problem. I bought this bike knowing it would be a fixer upper but it runs well. The main problem I have right now (other than visual issues) is that the brake light is not hooked up to either the rear foot pedal or the front hand lever. The brakes work fine, and the brake light lights up, but does not get brighter when you hit the brakes. The P.O. has rigged what looks like a coat hanger wrapped around the foot pedal going back the switch near the rear fender that you pull out on to get the light to brighten, so the foot pedal actually works, but I'd like to get it working correctly. I have looked online and cannot find the cables that go to it. (may have actually found them, but didn't know what I was looking at or if it would work on my make/model). I am also a bit perplexed as to how they actually hook up. If anybody knows exactly what cables I need and how they go on I would be extremely grateful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hi,

I have an 84 VT700c also...

The rear brakes have two cables that make it work, the big thick one that actually activates the brake assembly to make you stop, and a smaller one that activates the brake light switch.

The cable that you need is number 4 in this diagram: OEM Parts Honda SHADOW (VT700C) 1984 PEDAL - Cheap Cycle Parts it attaches to the spring (number 5) which hooks into the switch/wiring harness (number3).

Once you have it hooked up you will need to zip tie it to the big cable as close as possible to the brake pedal assembly or the sheathing will pop out of the hole and the brake light will stay on.

I will try to post some pictures tonight of how mine is put together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. If you could get a pic up that would help me out immensely. Any idea about the front brake cable? I found one for a Suzuki that the web site said might work on mine but I don't know if it would or not.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Thanks for the info. If you could get a pic up that would help me out immensely. Any idea about the front brake cable? I found one for a Suzuki that the web site said might work on mine but I don't know if it would or not.
The front brakes don't use a cable they are hydraulic, but under the reservoir and next to the hand lever there is a micro-switch with two wires attached to it, when you pull on the hand lever it activates the switch and makes the rear brake light come on.

There are three tests that you can do...

1 - Disconnect the wires from the switch and touch them together if the light comes on the problem is with the switch.

2 - Disconnect the wires from the switch and attach a multimeter set to OHMS or "Continuity" to the switch contacts and then pull on the lever you should get zero ohms or a BEEP for the continuity test.

3 - If touching the wires together does not make the light come on... using your battery's NEG terminal as a ground test both switch wires for +12 volts one of them should have +12 volts on it if neither do check all of your fuses although you should be having other problems if you have a fuse blown. I will check that as well when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I think I've got the rear under control now. I've been looking over the front brake and I found the circled area in the picture and i know where and how it hooks up now. All I need now is to buy the cables. again, thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be back asking a ton of new questions very shortly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went and checked it out. the wired coming from the hand lever had been cut so i spliced on some new wire and spliced them into the wires coming from the switch hooked to the rear fender and it worked like a charm! Now I just need to get the cable for the foot pedal and I'm set! thanks a lot for all the help!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Your go to man will be Dustin [edit] Landon back on planet earth. Because he owns an identical bike without the problem part(s) being altered for a more accurate reference. Besides, different bikes may or have their own nuances and some can snag and bedevil you for hours if you're unaware. The same owner might provide advice how to get to the faulty part .... without screwing up sumpthing else in the process, etc. Below is generally what the REAR brake switch looks like on a similar setup around your bike's year (ignore different numbering). Note the adjustment wheel. With the FRONT brake switch, you're probably thinking 'replace the worn-out switch then viola!' Maybe. Or maybe, a yeah right.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Just went and checked it out. the wired coming from the hand lever had been cut so i spliced on some new wire and spliced them into the wires coming from the switch hooked to the rear fender and it worked like a charm! Now I just need to get the cable for the foot pedal and I'm set! thanks a lot for all the help!
Glad you figured it all out, it is all a pretty simple setup, still need me to post any pictures?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well, funny enough my 84 VT700c has been having trouble with the brake light as well, I used my own advice and it ended up being the hand-lever switch which is running -really- hot and one of the pins sticking out it wiggles around and causes the light to not come on when it is in the wrong place.

Cheapcycleparts.com = $17
Bikebandit.com = $19
Some other random bike websites $8 to $10.

Going to check at a local salvage place I go to from time to time I would rather support him than a corp. website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I have it figured out now. I doubt I need any pics. There is a local place here in Indianapolis called "Cycle-Recycle" that I'm gonna check out for some good used parts.

On a semi-related note does anybody know any kind of easy seat mods? I'm a big guy and the seat seems too far up for my comfort. i'm going to change out the handlebars to gain some room but it would be awesome if i could get the seat scooted back about six inches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.