Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just bought an 84 vt700c shadow. Its my first bike ever. I paid $500 and it's in pieces. I found a great pdf manual online already and I'm about to start putting it together. Any advice? I've never messed with a bike before and I'm in for some fun. I know already that I'm going to need a keyed ignition and a keyed gas tank cap, also a brake light and possibly a back seat or something to cover the wires for now. I'm new at this and have no clue where to begin searching for parts. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you all. WIN_20200605_04_47_31_Pro.jpg WIN_20200605_04_47_41_Pro.jpg

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,030 Posts
A good fun ride when it's done.

There's OEM Honda parts from the US warehouses this is just one source, there are lots of other online dealers who can source the same stuff for varying prices 1984 Honda Shadow 700 VT700C Parts - Best OEM Parts Diagram for 1984 Honda Shadow 700 VT700C pieces are getting a little sparse for the older bikes.
There may be more OEM stuff for a price from this place https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-motorcycles_model2/ Be aware that the VT700 was only sold in the US due to political reasons and had a slightly larger cylinder bore in the rest of the world giving 750cc. Most stuff is interchangeable between the two versions, this is something to keep in mind when it comes down to looking for parts worldwide either new or used.
For used parts eBay is your best bet although things show up on Craigslist too.
Also ask here in the forums there are a surprising number of the early to mid '80's bikes still on the road and when things get to that age they are pretty much DYI owners and may have the bit you are looking for or at leeast specific informed advice.
As a long shot for new mostly Chinese reproduction stuff there is always AliExpress, but be very careful as there is a lot of crap and also occasionally some great finds.

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I've been up all night tinkering work it. I'm putting the speedo cable on now. This axle is pretty tough to put back in when you only have sockets. I'm going to have to invest in an impact gun. I also found a website with a lot of parts for VT700C. www.cheapcycleparts.com

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
You should not need an impact gun to work on the bike if you need an impact gun to assemble something it's not right.
You do need to make sure things are clean and lubed as required
For many fasteners you will need a torque wrench to match the specs in the Service Manual.
I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive torque wrenches most of the time all I need is the 3/8" on the Honda.
Decent six point metric sockets regular and deep are a good investment.

Yeah CheapCycleParts is one of the several large authorized OEM sellers on line, you buy from any of them and most of the the time they just order from Honda and then ship it to you.
That is why if you find something is unavailable at one dealer it will usually be unavailable at most of them, almost no dealers sit on much in the way of physical parts stock these days.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,358 Posts
Thank you so much. I've been up all night tinkering work it. I'm putting the speedo cable on now. This axle is pretty tough to put back in when you only have sockets. I'm going to have to invest in an impact gun. I also found a website with a lot of parts for VT700C. www.cheapcycleparts.com
No, No, No, No!!! What is it doing that makes you think an impact gun is needed?

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
Impact guns are for dissembling only and I have never needed one on a motorcycle. If you are needing a new ignition and fuel cap because you lack the key there is a cheaper solution. In most cases you can unbolt the helmet lock and bring it into a locksmith. It will likely have a code on it for a new key.

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impact guns are for dissembling only and I have never needed one on a motorcycle. If you are needing a new ignition and fuel cap because you lack the key there is a cheaper solution. In most cases you can unbolt the helmet lock and bring it into a locksmith. It will likely have a code on it for a new key.
Where is the helmet lock located at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello ElJefe813
Looked at the photos. A fair bit of work for you.

Did you find the parts you need? Any particular problems.

I'm writing because I enjoy this type of shop work. Have some xtra honda parts on hand.

McGary

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should not need an impact gun to work on the bike if you need an impact gun to assemble something it's not right.
You do need to make sure things are clean and lubed as required
For many fasteners you will need a torque wrench to match the specs in the Service Manual.
I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive torque wrenches most of the time all I need is the 3/8" on the Honda.
Decent six point metric sockets regular and deep are a good investment.

Yeah CheapCycleParts is one of the several large authorized OEM sellers on line, you buy from any of them and most of the the time they just order from Honda and then ship it to you.
That is why if you find something is unavailable at one dealer it will usually be unavailable at most of them, almost no dealers sit on much in the way of physical parts stock these days.
Is there a trick to installing the clutch? It has like 1/4" more to go but won't budge

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I'm not really familiar with those models, but I will venture a guess.
Is the clutch basket sitting down over the oil pump sprocket drive pins?
If those are not lining up that would hold it out about that much.

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it. I'm finding as I go along that I am missing more and more pieces. The left crankcase cover is cracked, I wonder if I can just buy a new motor for it or should I just go through and buy each individual piece.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
There are people here with a lot of knowledge on this series of bikes and more used to finding stuff for them.

It's a hard call without doing an inventory of what you have and what you need.
There are definitely people with parts here, just place a request in the "wanted" section and you might get lucky.
A complete decent engine would probably get you up and running faster, if you can find one, but likely cost as much as you have into the project already.
Don't rule out doing a search for a complete parts bike, but avoid any that seem too shady if you know what I mean. |-:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pro tip: Find a parts bike, or find a complete one and use the one you have for parts. Ebay will eat your wallet for dinner and ask for dessert if you try to buy stuff a piece at a time. I bought my complete/non-running '83 chrome bike for $450 and even with buying another '83 for parts and sourcing the various bits and pieces I needed to finish restoring it I had WAY more $$$$ in it than it will ever be worth.

Just means I have to keep riding/enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there a trick to installing the clutch? It has like 1/4" more to go but won't budge
YES there is. IF you notice the teeth on the clutch do not line up with each other. What you need to do is use a flat head scewdriver to shim the gears with the other gears that it is lining up with. I would HIGHLY advise you to get a HONDA manual when taking or putting this bike back together. Label everything, count shims and take pictures as you go. A little thing now will suddenly be a big deal when putting it back together.
You are putting the clutch back together, did you have it fully apart? If so did you put the plates back in the correct order? Yes there is a correct order and did you completely cover it in oil? The plates need to soak in oil before reassembly.

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm writing down what I am missing as j go along. Unfortunately I have to disassemble the entire bike tonight so that I can transport it to my apartment. Its gonna be going in my living room for now i guess. I just got approved for my unemployment and after all my bills are caught up I'm going to try to find a complete motor online and put that in. So far i have to rebuild the entire front cylinder, i need a new left side crankcase cover and screws and cam guide and a lot of other things. So if everything goes right I will be looking to buy a new motor tomorrow. If you have any other legit sites I could go through please let me know.

·
Registered
1984 Honda VT700C Shadow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have decided to give up on the VT700C. Too many parts are missing and I dont have the knowledge to get this deep into it. I'm buying a 83 GL1100 today. I'll be selling the VT700C.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wise move, it is a long and can be expensive build. Some parts are (well most parts) are no longer available and you have to search and hunt to find them. I have been rebuilding mine for almost a year and I'm just now coming to the end and getting her up and running.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can tell you one thing. The two "specialty" bolts that hold the oil line to the top of the heads. If you have those, they are worth their weight in Gold or even platinum! I thought I had lost them and was trying to find a new set and they are no wear to be found other than the Netherlands. You can piece out the engine and most likely make your money back. Heck just the frame in good condition can go for $150-ish.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So far those are the only bolts or parts I could not find or use an alternative for. When they say that they are specialty bolts they meant it, they only made them for a few years and that was it. Luckily I did not lose mine like I thought I did. I just miss placed them by not putting them back from where I got them. But all is good for now. But those few hours had my heart pumping rather hard. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts