Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this bike for 400 bucks because it doesn't shift right. I unloaded it into the garage and did some serious massaging of the gear shift to find neutral. That consisted of pushing the shifter in, turning it a certain way, pulling the shifter back out and doing a very risky game of twister; holding the shifter on the verge of a shift and wiggling the bike back and forth.

Anyways... I took the right side cover off to peak inside, and to my dismay the shift shafts were not aligned. There was a bigger problem here though... they weren't even aligned side to side. So I started pulling on things and managed to get the b side out carefully by twisting it out and around the the opening there and the oil pickup tube.

There was no teeth on the shaft though! The whole arm was missing. It looked like it had been hanging on by one tac weld the whole time. When I looked inside the gearbox before, it was there but not aligned. I'm guessing this thing had bent in the past and that's why it took some sweet sweet tender motivation to get it to shift in the first place, and me yanking on the shaft sealed the deal.

I found a listing on ebay for a 1987 vt700c B side shift shaft, but the end doesn't look anything like I have here.

Here is the ebay listing:
Screenshot_20210504-205725_eBay.jpg

Even worse is I can't find that arm anywhere down there in the oil. Ill have to get a decent magnet to try and fish it out.

So my question is, does this replacement look like it should work? Or was mine not the correct one in the first place? I thought the side B on these 700s have 3 teeth, and mesh with side A's 2 teeth. I'm just fairly confused

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could have taken a clearer picture to show this, but underneath the arm is splined. There is a sleeve over the spline with a weld on it that looks like it broke. However on the ebay listed shaft, it looks as if that arm is completely welded in place instead of press-fit

·
Registered
169 Posts
could easily be a new rendition of the part your after. possibly for the intention of correcting the issue you found. i cant be of much help outside of that tho but parts to get changed without notice after production. the one thing you can look at is obviously that part is probably discontinued however there might still be notes in the parts breakdown about a change in that part.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,229 Posts
According to the parts breakdown the 84 and 87 are different part numbers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that would really suck. It might be quite a search to get the part. I still have some other things that need to be tied up anyways while I wait. I'll keep it updated for the few that are interested

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,478 Posts
Could you have the piece welded back on?
It looks like the one on the 1986-87 is supposed to be solid.
The early one looks like it is on a spline.--???

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
if you can find the other piece and its not mangled so proper position can be figured out any decent metal fabrication shop could put the the splined sleeve back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I received the part that fits on the 87, it didn't work. It's almost as if the paw wasn't even long enough to touch the side a paw. It fit nicely in there and the shift plate lined right up, but didn't have the reach to be actuated by the shift lever. So back to the drawing board. I still can't find the broken piece, somehow it's really missing in there which is worrying me. I've been short on time lately or else this would be done very soon

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,152 Posts
Definitely take the time to SCOUR the engine for that part. It’s hard to tell from the diagrams, but they could have changed the lengths of the two shafts. So you could try an ‘87 shifter shaft if you can find one cheap, just to see. Your original should definitely have the teeth on it. My original ‘83 bike one looks fine, my parts bike one was definitely welded at some point in the past.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So I got this bike for 400 bucks because it doesn't shift right. I unloaded it into the garage and did some serious massaging of the gear shift to find neutral. That consisted of pushing the shifter in, turning it a certain way, pulling the shifter back out and doing a very risky game of twister; holding the shifter on the verge of a shift and wiggling the bike back and forth.

Anyways... I took the right side cover off to peak inside, and to my dismay the shift shafts were not aligned. There was a bigger problem here though... they weren't even aligned side to side. So I started pulling on things and managed to get the b side out carefully by twisting it out and around the the opening there and the oil pickup tube.

There was no teeth on the shaft though! The whole arm was missing. It looked like it had been hanging on by one tac weld the whole time. When I looked inside the gearbox before, it was there but not aligned. I'm guessing this thing had bent in the past and that's why it took some sweet sweet tender motivation to get it to shift in the first place, and me yanking on the shaft sealed the deal.

I found a listing on ebay for a 1987 vt700c B side shift shaft, but the end doesn't look anything like I have here.

View attachment 294167

Here is the ebay listing: View attachment 294168

Even worse is I can't find that arm anywhere down there in the oil. Ill have to get a decent magnet to try and fish it out.

So my question is, does this replacement look like it should work? Or was mine not the correct one in the first place? I thought the side B on these 700s have 3 teeth, and mesh with side A's 2 teeth. I'm just fairly confused
I have an "85 and that ebay one looks just like mine. I think you will be fine with that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well after 2 purchases of an 86-87 part and one of an 84-85 part... they both don't fit. It's still as if the paw on the b side shaft is not long enough to engage the other side. But after looking at some diagrams, I found this gem:

this appears to be exactly what I'm missing, that one tac weld is what is remaining on my shaft. The paw also looks a bit longer and that seems to be the issue I'm having with the other parts.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,152 Posts
Yeah, that's what should be floating around at the bottom or your crankshaft... Somewhere. :p I'm impressed that a few of these are still floating around parts warehouses.
y
I don't get that the two parts of the same years shouldn't be long enough to fit each other. I don't believe they narrowed the entire engine block for the '86 model year! But those are the odds that you play when trying to get things working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a long flexible magnet off amazon, waaay longer than I needed but it was very strong and I fished out the broken piece in under a minute. It was hiding off into a passag in the forward area of the crankcase. Here's the piece and it's mothership:

I'm not going to buy a new one. I'll just put a new bead all the way around this thing and throw it back in.

I may end up starting a larger thread for the overall bike project. I'm a painter so I was thinking of doing something cool with this unit

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,478 Posts
That is great news. Weld her up and ride !

Reactions: kesanders
1 - 15 of 15 Posts