Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone over winter i intend to strip the shadow down to frame for inspection and powdercoat . If i feel pretty comfortable should I tackle myself or is it not as straight forward as it seems? I've got basic mechanical skills swapped engines in cars but never had engine out of any of my bikes . My bigges problem will likely be lack of tools /patience but i won't be road legal till about April/march 2015 Thanks guys and all opinions welcome i do have a mechanic who'll do strip down and bck together for around 600 but would much prefer putting that towards parts or insurance

·
Registered
354 Posts
No reason you can't strip it down and reassemble it. When you put the engine back into a freshly finished frame it's sure nice to have help. Things can really get scratched trying to manhandle it by yourself. Open the crankcase drain and mind the lean angle and leave it for a full day to drip out completely. take a bunch of detailed photographs of everything during the teardown and save them for the rebuild. This comes in handy. Once you're sitting beside a heap of parts it's a good time to grab a bucket of solvent and basket of rags. Clean,clean everything. Get to know your local metric fastener retailer. Damaged, worn fasteners should be replaced with fresh ones. I see you're in Florida which is good. I'm in N. Texas and I did an old BSA Thunderbolt during the winter of 2012. It was so cold inside my workshop I decided to do it in my kitchen. Single guys can do that.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
There is no reason why you should not do it yourself..

1 important bit of advice..

Take photographs of everything before, during and after you undo it, check the photo's are sharp and rename them so that you know the order you undid things in..

You may think this or that thing is easy to remember but after a few months you will forget something.. Pack all the nuts and bolts in small write on freezer zip bags and label them to tie in with the photographs..some cover bolts are different lengths so make a cardboard template the same shape as the cover and stick the bolts through it so that you know where they go back..note the wire colors and mark the hoses with tipex or whiteout stripes to line them up..one stripe for this hose and where it fits, two stripes for the next hose, and so on.

I've just noticed that I have said more or less the same thing as Beezer..so if we both think the same it can't be impossible can it.

John.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
No reason you can't strip it down and reassemble it. When you put the engine back into a freshly finished frame it's sure nice to have help. Things can really get scratched trying to manhandle it by yourself. Open the crankcase drain and mind the lean angle and leave it for a full day to drip out completely. take a bunch of detailed photographs of everything during the teardown and save them for the rebuild. This comes in handy. Once you're sitting beside a heap of parts it's a good time to grab a bucket of solvent and basket of rags. Clean,clean everything. Get to know your local metric fastener retailer. Damaged, worn fasteners should be replaced with fresh ones. I see you're in Florida which is good. I'm in N. Texas and I did an old BSA Thunderbolt during the winter of 2012. It was so cold inside my workshop I decided to do it in my kitchen. Single guys can do that.
Lol! There is a welder where your microwave should be! That's awesome!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Scared, that floor was new thirty years ago. I put it in when I bought the house. I figured it was old enough to not care about. Welding burns? Yep!

I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I stripped mine down last winter. Like John said, take lots of pics. To add to that I bagged and tagged EVERYTHING. I even went as far as labling the motor mount bolts Front upper front lower. Rear upper, rear lower. Take your time. Its easy. Really it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys this is what I was hoping to hear ,already enlisted help of my good friend and newer friend who's mom neighbour recently did his triumph himself so between the 3 of us and advice here hopefully all goes smoothly.question in clymers it's saying remove carbs and clutch are these nessacary steps or to save weight.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Be careful if downloading to a pc, they like to organize for you but it's not neccesarily a help here. Trying to fit a clutch nut to a triple tree is hard.

Dingo.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Why engage in a superfluous activity?

If you don't have something helpful to say, why not keep it to yourself. And get rid on those stupid emoticons. You're not a 12 year old with her first cell phone.

To quote Cuc Tu: "Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Which are you?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Thanks guys this is what I was hoping to hear ,already enlisted help of my good friend and newer friend who's mom neighbour recently did his triumph himself so between the 3 of us and advice here hopefully all goes smoothly.question in clymers it's saying remove carbs and clutch are these nessacary steps or to save weight.
You should be able to do it. Just follow the hints from above and you'll be in good shape. Keep us posted.

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
11,042 Posts
If you don't have something helpful to say, why not keep it to yourself. And get rid on those stupid emoticons. You're not a 12 year old with her first cell phone.

To quote Cuc Tu: "Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Which are you?
Uhmmm, you do realize he has been punted don't you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts