Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is not a Shadow question but i figured it was close enough for this group..I started up my 85 Sabre V65 after sitting in the garage this winter. It started right up so I went to take it for a short spin. Something happened to the turn signals over the winter. This bike has self cancelling signals. I have not gone through and tested each wire connection as I thought someone could give me a starting point to look for the solution.

The right signal will flash once and shut off. The left will sometimes flash OK but sometimes not. I know there is as sensing switch on the front fork. Would this be from having the bike on the kick stand leaning to the left all winter? Could this sensor have gotten stuck somehow?

Any suggesstions would be appreciated

Thanks,
Cointoken

· Registered
39 Posts
According to the schematic that system looks complex. Starting from the actual switch it looks as if power is to the relay, then a position relay, then to the cancel unit and then to the indicators. I don't see anything that would pass for a sensing switch. At any rate, If all the bulbs are good I would start at the switch checking for corrosion/wear. From there you'll have to understand the schematic and trace the wiring and ensure that all the connections are clean and tight. If issue is not resolved by now then one of the above components may be faulty. As far as troubleshooting each one of those looks rather simple except for cancel unit. You would most probably need the service manual for the proper procedure.

PS....I just noticed, the diagram I have is for an '84 V65. If you need it just say the word.

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Might just be oxidation in the signal switch itself in the switch housing., for starters. After that I'd check for some oxidation on the "cancel unit turn signal" connections as well (as per the wiring diagram in my Clymer's). Other than that maybe the "cancel unit" is getting old and needs replaced.

Here's a site if you need further help: www.v4hondabbs.com

I had the same bike a few yeras ago...great bike for Lonnnnnng rides and fast. Also had the smaller model Sabre, the 700cc V4. Now that should been a keeper....but ya know how it is. I'm still looking at getting one of those ...again. :roll:

Bullzeyet

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the service manual for the bike. Yes, this is a complex system. I was thinking about just bypassing the cancel circuitry but I hear that might affect other things.

I guess I'll just have to spend some time tracing it down.

It's always somethin!

· Registered
39 Posts
You could possibly bypass it, but you would be giving up a feature that a lot of riders would rather have.

To do it you'd prolly have to take out that position relay as well.

I have the schematic for an '02 Sabre I can send you for cross reference.

That said, if the problem is only a corroded switch/socket or bad connection/s I'd keep cancel unit in the circuit.

PS....Palatine? I used to hit this site a lot in the past and your locale is the same as another member who was here practically everyday too....DICE where are you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.