Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start tearing things apart, anyone have any thoughts on where to look for the noise? On the center stand I have not been able to duplicate the noise, but when riding the bike at about 30-35mph with the clutch out (accelerating or holding steady speed) the bike howls like a banshee. Pull the clutch in, accelerate or slow down and the noise subsides.

I can't duplicate the noise in neutral either at any engine rpm.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Where on the bike does the sound seem to be coming from. Come on guy, help us....help you, we need all the info you got.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it 'in gear' rpm dependent or always at the same speed in a specific gear?
Doesn't seem to be gear or rpm dependent. The consistent factor seems to be speed between 30-40mph. I first started noticing it at 35mph and 3500rpm, but engine speed does not seem to be a factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where on the bike does the sound seem to be coming from. Come on guy, help us....help you, we need all the info you got.
That's part of the problem - I've not been able to pin down the source of the sound. It seems to be "everywhere." My first thought was maybe front wheel bearings, but then I thought I should be noticing noise/vibration at other speeds (and it shouldn't go away when I pull the clutch in).

The bike has 30K miles on it, I am the Nth owner, and the maintenance history is unknown beyond what I've done - fluid changes - nothing unusual in the engine oil or final drive when I changed them. Final drive oil was changed spring 2010 (Valvoline durablend 80W90 synthetic blend gear oil).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I vote with Ernie, if mph dependent, it is a driveshaft spline issue. 1st, service it with top quality lube. Alternately, take it to a shop that has a dyno. That way the bike can be run static, the sound tracked and cause identified.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm replacing the brake pads, shoes and wheel bearings (was already planned). Since I'll have the rear wheel off I figure I might as well do the front too. I'll lube the splines (and any other drive line components - I have the Honda service manual) and hope this takes care of the issue. Pieces should be here in a few days...

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm replacing the brake pads, shoes and wheel bearings (was already planned). Since I'll have the rear wheel off I figure I might as well do the front too. I'll lube the splines (and any other drive line components - I have the Honda service manual) and hope this takes care of the issue. Pieces should be here in a few days...
Just posted a new thread on this two days ago.

Greasing drive splines

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
If possible check the Bearings in the Final drive unit while you are in there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It could be your side stand vibrating against something which then gets amplified by the frame or exhaust when traveling a certain speed. Try tieing the sidestand tightly in the up position with a bungee cord or something and take it for a ride again.

Note: It could be the center stand too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts