Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my friend has an 85 shadow 500, and I'm looking for information on a part he needs. He said it hooks up to the coils and controls the firing order. Its a square electrical box about 4 inches wide with two 4 prong electrical connectors coming out of it. I was hoping that someone could at least tell me what it is called, and maybe where the cheapest place to get one would be.

Further information: the box has a sticker on it with the following information.

AKBZ46
131100-4500
12V | MF5
Denso

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Joe

edit:

After further searching through different topics I've found, it seems as though ignition problems are sometimes tough to figure out. I was wondering, in addition to my previous questions, if there is a way to test this box. Thank you again

· Registered
8 Posts
This would be the CDI module. This contains 2 separate ignition triggering circuits which receives input from the trigger coils located inside the r/h side engine cover thus controlling the deenergizing of the secondary side of the ignition coils located beneath the fuel tank. The trigger coils is a fault source which should be checked out. On my bike one of these caused ignition failure on the front cylinder when my engine heated up. When it comes to measuring there is some checks you can make with a multimeter. My advice is to check out the Honda factory or Clymer manual for the bike, where some checks are listed. The CDI unit can be expensive to buy, but if you have checked everything else, then look for one on e-Bay. Servicehonda.com has a parts-fiche reader where you can browse for parts and also buy, but can be expensive.

If you can give a proper failure description then you will propably get good troubleshooting information from the forums readers.

· Registered
6 Posts
Some bikes that year used a single ingnition control module (spark unit).
Manufactured by Denso AKBZ46 131100-4500 Honda Part Number 30410-MF5-751
GOOD LUCK FINDING IT! It's not manufactured anymore... I started looking for one because my 85 VT500C has a "lazy spark" - won't start when it's hot. After taking some readings and finding pulse generators and ignition coils well with in specs, the Clymer manual says to replace the ignition module. By the way, I called Honda and they said that they don't even make a retrofit for it... They gave me some dealers to call - but the dealers didn't have any either. They were no help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.