Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my new front and rear turn signals hooked up on my bobber build. Trying to figure out the license plate/brake light wiring. I'm trying to follow some wiring diagrams I picked up on the site but no matter how I wire it the running light won't turn on and the brake light and license light only work when I hit the rear brake. Nothing happens when I hit the front brake. Can anybody help me out here?

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
Not sure what your asking for but the brake light should be green/yellow, running light/license light should be brown. Green is ground.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Check that diagram and pay attention to a good ground. Or even add another one. If it is a bad connection it can feed back from the brake light circuit.

·
Registered
1985 VT500C
27 Posts
It’s worth it to note that there is a fuse that can blow and keep the tail light from working unless the brakes are used, blew mine changing my turn signals the other day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s worth it to note that there is a fuse that can blow and keep the tail light from working unless the brakes are used, blew mine changing my turn signals the other day.
Interesting, is that fuse in the regular fuse box up front or is it hidden elsewhere?

·
Registered
1985 VT500C
27 Posts
Interesting, is that fuse in the regular fuse box up front or is it hidden elsewhere?
Up front. Not around the bike right now but I’ll try to take a pic today and show you which one it is. Would’ve gotten back to you sooner but weather messed my internet up for awhile lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Battery is dead, probably from sitting around too long while I tried to fix the bike cosmetically. I've ordered a new battery. Checked the fuses, replaced the main fuse and replaced a broken fuse up front, I believe it said stop light fuse. I've had other electronic issues from the battery and possibly bad connections from the stator. As i wait for the new battery I'm still curious how my tail light/brake light will work using a single bulb, where the old connection used two bulbs, one for brakes and one for tail light/running light. If I wire everything up there will be two open connection points. 3 connections for bake light/tail light and 2 connections each for my rear turn signals. Originally there is 9 connection points. I am leaving the connection points open for the license light according to the wiring diagram, the brown/red wire and dark green for the liscence light are open. What am I supposed to do here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a highlighted diagram to show what I mean. The yellow highlighted connections are left open as my license light/brake light has only one bulb and three wires.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
Not sure if this is what your asking but a typical brake/taillight bulb (1057)has two filaments in it. one for brake light one for taillight.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
If you are trying too change the socket to one bulb instead of the two just leave the unused connections open and tape them up. These are parallel circuits so if some extra wires are open it does not affect the ones you want to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts