Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 Shadow with a starter problem. I've understand there is a centrifugal clutch on the starter. It seems to me that the starter is weak and doesn't turn fast enough for the clutch stay fully engaged. It also makes a "brrrrt" sound on the first couple tries. The battery was bought last May and is fully charged. Also after it's warmed up the starter runs fine.

Before I spend a lot of money on a starter I'd like to get a second opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well I'd certainly recommend taking the starter out and looking at it. It doesn't cost too much to replace the brushes and have the commutator turned.

There's a kit on eBay that includes the brushes and bearings. Someone on the forum here got one and was happy with it. I ordered one and didn't like it -- the parts looked chintzy and the bearing was the wrong size. Who knows, maybe it was the wrong set. Anyway, I was able to use the original bearing. From the sound of your starter, you might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My VT500 is doing that same exact thing. Same sound and all. Did you find out what the problem was? What was the fix? Im in the same boat, dont want to spend the $$$$ on a starter if the rebuild kit would fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I suggest that before you do anything that you check all the grounds and connectors, it's old enough that corrosion could be the what's wrong.
+100. Check BOTH ends of BOTH cables +&-.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was talking with a friend about the starter issue and he suggested sometimes the oil will cause the starter clutch to slip. Anyone ever hear of this?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The wrong kind of oil can make your transmission clutch slip, but not the starter clutch.

--Justin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts