Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I picked up an 85' Honda Shadow at the end of the summer and I'm currently working on restoring it. I was having a lot of hesitation at lower RPMs so I pulled the carbs off for a good cleaning. Both of the idle jets were pretty clogged, one of them almost completely, and there was a fair amount of rusty debris in the float bowls. I cleaned the carbs and jets thoroughly. I am planning to replace one of the bowl gaskets that was in bad shape but the other seems fine as do the float needles. I'm also going to replace the fuel hoses and install a fuel filter while I have the carbs off. Is there anything else that is recommended?

The reason that I believe the carbs got so bad is because the gas tank is pretty rusty on the inside. As I mentioned above, I will be installing a fuel filter but what is the best technique for reducing the rust inside of a tank? I've seen methods where others have inserted sand/stones or nuts/bolts into the tank and shake it around then use vinegar to flush it out. I'm not wild about the idea of putting sand into my tank, I feel like it will be a PITA to rinse it out after. Does anyone have a better method?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

I tried three different hardware stores this past weekend and I was not able to find washing soda so I wound up ordering it online. In the meantime, I was excited to fire up the bike again after cleaning the carbs. I put everything back together only to discover that my petcock is now leaking like hell. With my engine now covered in gasoline, I opted not to try starting the bike for risk of a fire. I ordered a petcock rebuild kit so I'll install that after I do the electrolysis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running rich

I started the bike to see how it is running after the carb cleaning and it seems to be running very rich now. I have not completely connected the air box but if anything, this should make it lean right?

With the choke off, the bike will start and run but not very well, and the exhaust smells like gasoline. If I use the choke, the bike begins to stall.

I have not made any deliberate adjustments. Any ideas? Is it possible that I didn't connect the choke correctly when I re-installed it?

It might also be worth noting that I'm in Boston so it's been very cold here.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,456 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts on the rich condition.
Is it possible to mix up the jets inside the carb ?
Or did a float arm get bent so the level is too low ?
Or did a piece of rust get in the needle and seat to hold it down ?
Is fuel leaking out of the overflow tube ?
A few possibilities.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
My guess is a choke is not connected right and is stuck closed or possibly a no spark condition on one cylinder. Stuck or maladjusted float would do it too...suggested above. Your main jets (also suggested already) 'are' different sizes, so if you mixed them up it would make one cylinder run rich, the other lean. Per the parts manual, the front main is a #120, and the rear is a #112. The jet numbers are inscribed into the brass jets....get your magnifying glass out. Your springs, vacuum diaphrams, and slow jets are identical.
http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lookup#/Honda/VT500C_A_%2885%29_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2PC080-FM200015_TO_JH2PC080-FM213392/CARBURETOR_COMPONENT/VT500C-85-JPN-A/2Y14MF5DE14MF5D2001D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a spare tank for a VT500 shadow - no rust - no dents - no petcock. I live in Burnaby BC if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts