Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Got a couple quick questions before I get to my introduction to the group so please bare with me.
I just picked up a 1985 Honda Shadow VT700 and have a couple of questions.
For those of you with this bike, where do I purchase accessories? I have been looking all over the net and can't seem to find anything for this bike. I am looking for a tank bib right now but can’t find anything.
One of the problems that I keep running into is that no one lists anything for this model. What other models are compatible with mine? Will items from the Magna work? It appears that the tank is the same. I really like the way the chrome side covers look on the 86' and the chrome radiator grille looks sharp, but I can't find them for this year and model.
Did I buy an odd ball bike? Any information on the mods or upgrades that you have made would be greatly appreciated. Please include any pics or links to help out. Thanks, and I get my introduction and some pics up as soon as I can.

mindfungus

·
Registered
932 Posts
mindfungus,
Welcome to the forum. Parts on the 1983 VT750 and the 1984-1985 VT700 should interchange. I used to have a 1984 VT700. It was one of the best bikes I have owned. Its performance (with its 8000 rpm engine) was quicker than my current 1100 according to magazines publishing their quarter mile times.

I restored the VT700 I had for the most part by finding parts on ebay. I would do searches based on (VT750, VT750c, VT700, VT700c) and eventually found all the parts I needed. It did take some patience to find all the parts.

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome...this is a great place to chat and get advise!

I currently have an 84 VT700C. Found Jardine exhaust through Shadetree Motorsports out of Ohio. Most of my accessories are general fitment, ie. mirrors, bags, turn signals, etc. For specific applications, I've always gone custom, for example, find a good leather shop and they should be able to make you a nice tank bib. Any accessory I can't find or need ASAP, I've always had custom fabricated. Each year, there will be fewer and fewer accessories available for your bike due to age and limited requests for parts.

I've had mine for 3 years and have never had an issue with the bike, motor, trans or anything else. Regardless of parts and accessory availability, I still feel it is a good investment. (I just bought a 2003 Shadow 750 Spirit for more room now I'm riding two up).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Duckfactory said:
Welcome...this is a great place to chat and get advise!

I currently have an 84 VT700C. Found Jardine exhaust through Shadetree Motorsports out of Ohio. Most of my accessories are general fitment, ie. mirrors, bags, turn signals, etc. For specific applications, I've always gone custom, for example, find a good leather shop and they should be able to make you a nice tank bib. Any accessory I can't find or need ASAP, I've always had custom fabricated. Each year, there will be fewer and fewer accessories available for your bike due to age and limited requests for parts.

I've had mine for 3 years and have never had an issue with the bike, motor, trans or anything else. Regardless of parts and accessory availability, I still feel it is a good investment.
I agree with everything Duck said. Go custom or find used parts on ebay. All of my parts are from ebay or I made myself.

Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
eBay's gonna be your best bet. Junkyards work nicely, too. Most of the parts I put on my '86 vt700c I took from different makes/years of Shadows. As old as the '83 750 (radiator fan motor), and as new as the '88 vt800. Other parts were generic, or fabricated by myself.

Had a shop once tell me, "We can't get those parts anymore (carb air intake boots). Tell you what though, duct tape will work perfectly for that." So, when in doubt, duct tape! :p

Still, whenever you need something, do a google search for it too. I was surprised a few times by what I found that way.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mindfungus: I have a 1984 VT700 I got for a paltry $200. It has been a hoot! I made a rat bike out of it, because it had serious chrom piiting, bad paint, and some hard-to-find parts missing. I installed a Harley rear fender, and some Royal Ensfield tailights, and turn signals, expanded metal over the rear fender for re-inforcement, and mailboxes from Lowes hardware for saddlebags. That thing will pull the front tire right up! It has been an eye-catcher from the day I got it! I say, if you can't fix it...go rat!
-----Metalguy :wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, please send some pics. I am looking to "clean up" the rear end. Want to go solo seat. Would like to see what others have done to do so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts