Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I rode this bike for about 3 weeks everyday to and from work with no issues. I was very happy to say the least. BUT I was on my way home and the "Oil" light came on and then the bike fell on it's face and shut down. I checked the oil, it was fine. I had in fact just changes the oil right before riding so the oil was still "clean".
I changed the oil pressure sensor and the problem happened again.
I took it out for a test hoping it was just the old sensor, the light was off and all was good for about half a block. Then the light came back on. The difference is it came on and off. Get off the throttle it would go off add throttle it would come on. Then the bike shut down, and would not start at all. It would turn over but acted like it had no spark. I have a feeling that the oil pump is getting blocked so I have a new one to switch out. But I didn't think that in '85 they had Oil pressure shut offs or did they? If the oil pump is in fact getting blocked then no oil is getting to the top of the engine or very little at best. If they had oil pressure shut offs in '85 this would make sens, but did they have the oil pressure shut offs back then??After it shuts down if I let the bike sit for about 1 hour or so it will fire back up and idle great, once you add throttle the light will come back on and the bike will shut off.

I do know that somewhere there is a "new" electrical problem. I keep it on a battery tender when parked and have never had an issue. Then one day it was fine the next it will not keep a charge at all. Like something is always using power. I hook up the tender and the battery itself gets hot and actually boils over. Yes I took the battery out and it charged just fine and the tender worked great. (I also refilled it with distilled water after this) When I put it back in the bike it goes right back to the "no charge" issue. This happened literately over night. I have not added anything new so not really sure what happened. Any idea? I have checked the ground to the frame and the ground to the engine both are clean and corrosion free.
I do have a USB charger and that goes directly to the battery. I unplugged that just to make sure and I still have the drain. If I do not take the battery out it will drain all of the power with in 1 to 2 days of sitting. WTF?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's an oil pressure problem. More likely a battery or charging system issue.
This is a new battery. so even after the bike shuts down the battery is still good. Yes it drains while sitting, but if I run it is good. But I just cannot keep it running. It spuders and just shuts off. It just turns off. If I try and restart it nothing happens. Then I wait an hour and she will fire right back up just don't drive her. She will shut down again.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Do you have an Amp meter? If you do put it between the battery negative and battery cable, then start pulling the fuses one at a time until the drain goes away. Then troubleshoot that circuit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have an Amp meter? If you do put it between the battery negative and battery cable, then start pulling the fuses one at a time until the drain goes away. Then troubleshoot that circuit.
Well hell, why the F**k didn’t I think of that. Damn, thanks I will get to that this weekend. So busy looking at everything I forgot the basics. 😁

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,618 Posts
Take care of that drain. To answer your question, yeah, the old bikes had few to no safeties. It only measures pressure from around the filter, and that’s it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts