Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting the motor to turn over consistently. I have replaced alternator regulator / rectifier and and battery. Trouble I'm having is I'm not getting current through the yellow and red wire leading from theThe solenoid to the starter switch. The original solenoid seemed to work better than the replacement despite the buzzing andb the need to shake it to get to to work. As for turning over, when I first try to start it turns over a few times and then the solenoid starts the buzz. I hope I have been descriptive enough I appreciate any help

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
If you bypass all the wiring and switches with a short jumper wire directly to the solenoid trigger wire ( yellow/red),from the battery, then you could try starting multiple times to see if the other parts of the system are at fault or the starter, solenoid, starter drive gears, etc., are causing the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To start off with I found that the solenoid trigger post is not giving off any voltage therefore that is probably the problem, I ordered a new one again. I tried the jumper wire but it caused the buzzing in the solenoid until the key is turned. Either way new one on its way very cheap $8 last one came doa so let's hope for betterc)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
It may be you have a ground problem.
the yellow/red wire should not have voltage until it is supplied by the start switch. The green/red wire is the ground side and should be grounded through the clutch switch and neutral switch and maybe the kickstand switch. If you put a ground wire in the green/red and try to energize the yellow/red again it should crank very well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a ground wire in when I press the start button it did supply power but it did not turn over. First the solenoid buzzed then when I tried the start button again it made no noise and no turn over

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
Try that again with a car battery hooked to it so there is no doubt that there is enough current to start. If the same thing happens I am thinking the starter is going bad. May have a bad spot on the commutator and won't spin at times when on that spot. Always have plenty of power when diagnosing an electrical problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do, I was looking up how to clean a starter motor so I may take it out and go ahead And do that, Seems pretty straight forward. Should I go ahead and order the starter rebuild kit with brushes or hold off until I get it open?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
If you can the starter off easily and clean it out it may be good to go. As the brushes wear the carbon dust builds up and can short out the operation. Especially if any water has gotten inside. If the brushes are still long enough to last for a while, it may be a simple clean and reinstall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received the motor kit and replace the brushes, put the motor back in in a little bit of gas in the carbs( that's cheating isn't it? ) thebike fired up for about 5 seconds until itb died presumably because I let the throttle to low. After that I attempted to get to fire again, while the starter was turning like a champ the battery wouldn't recharge pass 11.7 and would read around 9.6 while turning. Gradually getting lower. I put the battery on a charge and hooked the air box and fuel tank back up. hopefully that well guarantee the compression is as close to normal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.