Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my name is kelly from ohio i just got a 86 700 shadow the only problem with it is that when its cold the clutch works good when it warms up the clutch slipps a little and when it gits to hoter the clutch pretty well stops working then when i rev it to about 6k or so it will kick in and go a little i put new clutches in it and it didnt fix any thing pease help im frustrated trying to figure it out

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hotter engine = hotter oil = hotter clutch. Do you have motorcycle oil in it? Or is it possible there's regular car oil in it.

If car oil it may be energy conserving oil which is not compatible with a "wet" clutch system like our bikes have.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I had the same exact issue just two months ago. Worked great when cold but once warmed up the clutch would start to slip and then eventually I would have to push it. The fix seemed too easy to believe but it worked. The master cylinder resting on my handle bar had a small relief plug/port that was clogged.
To test:
1) Remove the cap/top of the master cylinder. 2) Remove the small silver cap resting at the bottom of the cylinder. 3) Pull the clutch lever. 4) You should have clutch fluid/dot3 shot a stream out of the cylinder about 6 inches to a foot. 5) If nothing comes out, your relief hole is plugged. 6) You will see one larger hole and next to it a hole so small you may not see it. Insert a bobi pin (very thin pin/or wire) into the small hole to loosen the clog. 7) Pull the clutch again. If fluid now shoots out, the problem should be fixed.
2) If this is not the problem you may need to change and bleed the fluid (make sure you bleed the banjo bolts at the master and slave as air stuck in these areas can cause issues)
3) If changing fluid does not help, move to rebuilding the master and slave cylinders.
Hope you have it running soon.

+1 on the motor oil as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS SO MUCH!!! when i took the w/c cover off there was a ludge like fluild in it it took me a whie just to clean it out then i tryed to clean the hole out and it wouldnt do and thing i had to get a real hard strait wire and tap it with my screw drive defore i could git it to open i flushed it with new fliud several time and it seems to be working just fine now thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
kjemm32:
Glad to hear it's working for you. It's a great feeling to be able to go for a long ride and not have to worry about the clutch slipping. Believe it or not, when I was talking to a honda dealership about the problem he said his old bike had the same problem and he was never able to find the fix.

slfronza:

The bike does not need to be running to push fluid through the relief hole. Just make sure you are cleaning the correct hole and keep at it as you may have more gunk plugging it up then I had. You might need to try what kjemm32 did to unplugg his. One question: do you have any leaking around your slave cylinder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.