Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 VT500C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked over past threads and would like some additional input to my problem.
I bought an 86 shadow 500 with 4k miles a few weeks ago it ran seemingly OK on the test drive but has a slight hesitation when I would get on the throttle wide open unfortunately I noticed after I got it. I changed the oil air filter gear oil and checked the gap on the plugs which was correct. I haven't checked the plugs deeper in the cylinder and am not sure how to get to them. Anyway I also changed the tiny bit of fuel line that attaches the petcock to the carb since the old one was cracked when I took off the tank.The fuel line was slightly bigger but not by much, still fit snug on the petcock and plastic T going to the carbs 5/16 I believe. I thought replacing the air filter would be the ticket (emgo paper filter) since it was a rats nest in there but I'm still having the same issue. And I did make sure the airbox is seated on the carbs correctly since it was also slightly loose when I got it. I'm not wanting to ride it until it feels right so hoping to get it fixed quick.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
Put in some Seafoam or Berryman's carb cleaner and ride it for a while to see if it will clean the jets.
Then it woud be carb overhaul time if that doesn't work . But try to avoid that if you can.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
86 VT500C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put in some Seafoam or Berryman's carb cleaner and ride it for a while to see if it will clean the jets.
Then it woud be carb overhaul time if that doesn't work . But try to avoid that if you can.
Ya I've read sea foam on some older threads I guess I could try it. The guy that sold it said the carbs were recently cleaned I thought he was telling the truth too because I saw a fresh looking blue sealant on the float bowls but who knows.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Install the correct NGK Iridium spark plugs, that's what I did and the hesitation/stumble at full throttle was gone...
Spark plug removal should be in the shop manual.
Look here for a manual:
Honda Service Manuals
Thank me later,
:)
Edited to add pic, it's a Shascot (Ascot with a Shadow tank), I'm a pic hoe

·
Registered
86 VT500C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Install the correct NGK Iridium spark plugs, that's what I did and the hesitation at full throttle was gone...
Spark plug removal should be in the shop manual.
Look here for a manual:
Honda Service Manuals
Thank me later,
:)
I will look into that as well who knows the other plugs in the block could be from 86....
The other two were the ngk DPR8EA-9 I believe. Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
You say "slight hesitation"...that may be normal.
Usually takes CV carbs a beat before the zoom.
If you are used to EFI bikes, it is going to seem hesitant in comparison.
Mine responds better to a steady roll-on of throttle rather than just
whipping it back to max...which can also lead to unexpected wheelies...

On the upside, you've got a zoomer!!
I'm loving my VT500C for all that it can do!!

·
Registered
86 VT500C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say "slight hesitation"...that may be normal.
Usually takes CV carbs a beat before the zoom.
If you are used to EFI bikes, it is going to seem hesitant in comparison.
Mine responds better to a steady roll-on of throttle rather than just
whipping it back to max...which can also lead to unexpected wheelies...

On the upside, you've got a zoomer!!
I'm loving my VT500C for all that it can do!!
Ya the hesitation varies today it almost died before I got it out of the driveway despite running some seafoam in it at idle. I'm thinking the blue rtv that was on it when I got it has eventually come off and clogged up the jets. More than likely will have to clean the carbs/replace seals with actual gaskets. I'll update the thread when I finally find out what it was.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Makes me wonder if your choke is working...usually have to use choke for a minute or two,
until it hits operating temp (hope your gauge works). Then it'll restart without need for choke
for the rest of the day.

The Seafoam trick that worked for me is pouring half a can in, letting it sit overnight,
then going on a long ride the next morning...refilling with Premium & the other half can,
then riding home. Refill with Premium upon return. Do that once a year and it'll run like a top!

·
Registered
86 VT500C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes me wonder if your choke is working...usually have to use choke for a minute or two,
until it hits operating temp (hope your gauge works). Then it'll restart without need for choke
for the rest of the day.

The Seafoam trick that worked for me is pouring half a can in, letting it sit overnight,
then going on a long ride the next morning...refilling with Premium & the other half can,
then riding home. Refill with Premium upon return. Do that once a year and it'll run like a top!
Ya my gauge is working, tomorrow I'll adjust the choke cable plus throw in the iridium plugs. The choke only has tension/response on the last 1/4 of the switch. Pulling the carbs will be a last resort haha.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Grease your cables while you are at it...throttle, choke, clutch & brake.
Definitely won't hurt anything & may make response a bit better. ;)

Reactions: HooptyHonda

·
Registered
86 VT500C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grease your cables while you are at it...throttle, choke, clutch & brake.
Definitely won't hurt anything & may make response a bit better. ;)
Well the plugs didn't fit my coils so I just got a new set of the regular ones. I had nothing better to do so I pulled the carbs off. Turns out that blue rtv was floating all around and sticking to the floats PLUS a broken jet which I had to dremel out to get at with a flathead. On top of that that carbs weren't clean at all. But they're looking good now. Gaskets and new jet is on the way. Hopefully it'll be set for a while after this.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
We look forward to some happy pics after you get it running properly! :)

Reactions: HooptyHonda
1 - 12 of 12 Posts