Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've got the brakes working I never even realized there was alignment marks I had put it on way off and it's average 65° around here
Don't let missing the alignment marks get you down. I've owned and been wrenching Shadows since 2002 or earlier, perhaps 2000. I've known about these marks probably 2 or 3 years myself, and then only for certain about the front one since a few days back when I took the camera out mid-message to check on it (although since the brakes were in alignment, I probably did spot it last time I had that bit off, though I could also have fluked it). Now that we're talking about it, I do remember some years back struggling to get all the bits into an alignment that gave me room on the adjustor and a comfortable pedal position, while also having the brakes work without too much travel. While memory says it was half an hour or more of extreme frustration, it was probably only 5 minutes, but it was annoying getting them right. Those alignment marks should have big flashing neon indicators or something!

At 65°F your bike should start happily without choke.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,052 Posts
At 65°F your bike should start happily without choke.
It was an affliction of some of the early Shadows. Some were just notoriously hard to start 'cold', even at temperatures of 18°C and above! My father was amazed when he met someone with the same bike as his that started almost immediately on a cool morning. This was straight from the dealership, with no adjustments whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It was an affliction of some of the early Shadows. Some were just notoriously hard to start 'cold', even at temperatures of 18°C and above! My father was amazed when he met someone with the same bike as his that started almost immediately on a cool morning. This was straight from the dealership, with no adjustments whatsoever.
Nice to know, and hopefully I will remember it if I need it :)

My 86's normally start at that temp and a bit lower fairly quickly if the battery is really good, but they do suffer a problem with the electronic ignition - cranking the engine doesn't always leave enough for running the electronics. In that case I try to let go of the starter just at the right point, and do shorter runs with the starter as well (let it crank a couple of times then stop). Hot water poured over the battery can help a surprising amount!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts