Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off, I purchased this bike from a friend for $200.00 since it was sitting for about 6 years in a garage. I scooped it up looking to just make a quick buck on it and then my plans changed.... After replacing almost every hose and clearing the mice nest in the airfilter housing it was time to give it a shot for fire up. With no luck of throttle response the help of good 'ole starting fluid made it happen. I knew from that point it would be a usable engine.

I then started my hunt for vacuum diaphragms to get the carbs back to working order. Good thing i found this site, got a link to a page that luckily had them, after install and some home remedies for other issues on the carbs wahlah ! We are in business !!!

As for the rest I'll let my pictures do the talking as they are worth a thousand words each give or so a few :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be putting all my pictures there, remember to just click oldest first when looking for the first time to see how it all started !

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Welcome fellow Jersian.

You found this for 200..??? Nice score and a good friend..lol Looks like an 1100??
Nice bike man. I'll be following this too. How many miles are on it?

[EDIT] I see you allready started building it. Looks sweet man. Nice job.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Welcome fellow Jersian.

You found this for 200..??? Nice score and a good friend..lol Looks like an 1100??
Nice bike man. I'll be following this too. How many miles are on it?

[EDIT] I see you allready started building it. Looks sweet man. Nice job.
looked just like mine, but red, but if i remember if it was a 1100 it would have tear drop side covers and the exhaust would be run different. it is a 700 i know that

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Iits definitely a 700, and yes it was a 200$ bike i saved from hitting the scrap yard! Bike has about 30K miles on iirc. This wasn't in running condition at all as it sat for quite a few years. Needed just about everything repaired on it, it was down before probably a garage knock over as there wasn't big damage. That picture is after i started molesting it already (haha) there are 2-3 in there in its original condition as i bought it ill post up some on here in hopes to attract a few more viewers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That truck in the album is my old dodge diesel that made a little over 620 whp, sold and went with my corvette since it only got used to go to the track or a dyno competition

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I just went through all your pics and saw the 700 on the s/n sticker. Nice bike man.

Did you delete the stock airbox?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

how it looked when i bought it for 200

how it is current state after alot of powdercoating and work

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No it still has the factory airbox in a sense, depends what your talking about.. On this the airbox is part of the frame (where the carbs connect up to) ,off that im going to just be doing a velocity stack in place of the factory aircleaner assembly with a foam element internally so you dont "see" any filter assembly.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Oh ok. Unfortunately, on my 500 its not advisable to run pod filters because its near impossible to tune it across the rpm range. Wich really sucks. I don't know if you would have similar issues and i just wanted to let you know that you may want to research that before you go to far with your build.

hopefully your vt700 is not as picky as my 500 is..lol

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Oh ok. Unfortunately, on my 500 its not advisable to run pod filters because its near impossible to tune it across the rpm range. Wich really sucks. I don't know if you would have similar issues and i just wanted to let you know that you may want to research that before you go to far with your build.

hopefully your vt700 is not as picky as my 500 is..lol
The 700's actual air box is part of the back bone you would have to destroy the frame to put pod filters on. U believe he is talking about making A recessed air filter instead if the cold air intake box. He will still have to rejet but it still has the vacuum characteristic for the carbs. I might be wrong tho

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a pretty good thing you mentioned TC with the vacuum characteristics of the carbs, I hope i can get the right amount of vacuum since its going to have a ram air type effect. Hey, if not I'll just have to spin it around and let it suck its own air.

Got a little more finished tonight started with my front master cyl rebuild. Then i dropped my clutch master and chipped it, so its going back to powdercoat with the rest of my items that will be ready tomorrow night hopefully for my last trip there !

Resevoir cap is a gloss black like the lever, and the body is a matte black wrinkle like the engine. Yes they are the original controls levers and all !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, its a stock tank with a temporary rattlecan paintjob on it. I also made 2" risers to tip the tank back more and raise the front to match the body line i was going for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which bike are you referring to ? There's a few bikes in my garage right now, and when it was at a friends shop.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts