Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this thread to see how many others out there are proud owners/riders of the 1986 (and even 1985) Honda Shadow VT1100C's. I absolutely LOVE my '86 VT1100C. I am interested in seeing pics and reading stories of owners of these iconic bikes! Even if your Shadow is smaller than an 1100, I'd like to hear from you as well! :) Come on everyone! Pics and stories, please?
Here's my 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C
20190902_175100.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 1985-VT1100C
1985 VT1100C  091019.jpg

Got it back around 1996. Had some issues several years ago and could not find anyone wanting to fix it due to age and LACK of parts. So it sat for 4 or 5 years. (I resigned from work a year ago. LOL) After talking about it with my wife, who also missed riding it. I decided to fix it myself. It seems to be running as good as ever.
Still taking short rides, close to home to feel it out. so far so good. just ordered new tires, maybe start stretching our rides out some. maybe ovenight trips to Savannah/Tybee here in ga.

Like you I am curious as to the other 86/85 VT1100C members.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not at ALL. Absolutely LOVE my 1985 1100! Just the right center of gravity, all the power I need and a little I don't :) , roars to life immediately every time, plus that eighties "style" that I love. It's my perfect bike!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Then there were three! LOL
Eraserhead, Glad you posted.
I'm interested in a seat, mainly for my wife. I had the factory seat recovered with small gel pad, Looks okay but not really comfortable. Your rear seat looks wider. Is it a bought replacement seat or did you "customize" it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is not the OEM seat, the previous owner replaced it with a different seat and slightly bigger rear seat. Incidentally, my previous bike ('01 Shadow A.C.E.) had the same issue so I bought something similar to this (https://buttybuddy.com/index2.asp) and my wife liked it much better (that name sucks - buttybuddy?!?!?. Really?) I'm attaching the actual picture that the first owner posted that made me want to get this bike..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really do like the white paint on yours, though. Mine was instant love - I had "found" my bike. First bike I had decades ago was was an '84 Shadow VT500C (almost the SAME styling as the 1100!), then on to a '01 Shadow A.C.E. 750 which had NO power but was a very comfortable ride, then to a '82 KZ550 LTD which would smoke the 750 - still have that bike, bought an original brand new aftermarket seat for it off Ebay for $150 (see pic). Then I found my '85 1100. Just like my first bike, but significantly more power. A few small customizations later and here we are!

I started riding after a friend (Harley trained mechanic) got me hooked on riding. He had a '57 Panhead which he kept tuned perfectly (called it "the Tractor") and recently sold. I've loved the metric bikes that came out in the eighties: the styling, center of gravity, ease of riding, comfort, etc. And the maintenance free aspect of Honda (and Kawasaki, to a little lesser degree) helps a lot. I've had to do minimal work and get great pleasure every time I ride. I always got the manual to any bike I purchased, do most of the wrenching myself unless I'm out of my comfort zone but have a Honda dealership/service just down the road for anything else. Great thread! My wish list for the '85-'86 VT1100Cs is for the ability to add forward controls (nearly impossible), a gas gauge for the secondary tank, maybe a way to find parts easier (some are getting scarce) and that's about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Eraserhead,
I always wanted to have a motorbike-, stayed after daddy till he got me an allstate 2 speed moped. Then after I ragged it out he got me a Suzuki 125 twin cylinder street/trail.
After I got a real job, I bought a 1972 Honda 750-4. Hated to get rid of that bike but marriage/children BILLS etc forced me to.
Years later I decided to get another bike. Took me months of looking deciding what
to get. Window shopping -was fun looking at all the different models/styles. I have always thought Honda was a very low maintenance/dependable bike.
I liked the looks of the 85/86 VT's and wanted a bike to scoot around town but still be comfortable enough on 1-2 day trips. I always want a pearl white, so right after I got it we had it painted pearl white- Thanks. Wife and I have ridden all over Ga. on it, I've taken trip to Pa on it. Long story short- needed work-sat up-now trying to get road worthy!

Was that KZ550 the two stoke? I had a friend that had the 750-3 cy 2 stroke he would let me borrow for the weekend- Those things would FLY!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's an inline four stroke, and it still is a very fast bike. Specs said it would do 50HP at 8500RPM with a top speed of 110MPH. DOHC, six speed. Higher RPM, lower power but I could at least pass people with no problem. It was chain driven which I didn't prefer, so I got looking and found my current Shadow. I had read that the KZ1000 was the fastest production bike out of the factory at the time (1977).
I'd say the time you spend on your '85 1100 will be well spent. Sometime I have a few projects to finish on it, but they are quite minor. I just rode over 130 miles on a full tank, and was able to fill it with 3 gallons, so should have had another gallon if I wanted to keep going. I recently started putting in the ethanol free gas and what a difference! No backfires, starts easier, better gas mileage, etc. That ethanol really gums up the works! Picture of the engine below..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts