Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been running great and been a daily driver for the last few months. We had a cold snap pass through last week and I tried to start the bike in 20°F cold... Shame on me, I cycled the starter way too long, for a little over two minutes with a few seconds in between. The starter got sluggish from the voltage dropping, and then it suddenly would not cycle, click, or do anything at all.

I found melted terminals on two of the four wires plugged into the starter solenoid quick-disconnect plug, and a partially burned solenoid, so I re-terminated the wires and put in a new solenoid. Still nothing.

If I jump a wire on the solenoid I can get the engine to start turning over, but the solenoid latches on and the starter will not cut off until I pull the negative battery cable.
I jumped it again and held the start switch in, and the bike started up but immediately died when I let go of the start switch, with the starter still spinning. The headlight turns off as usual when I push the start switch.

I checked all the fuses, including the solenoid 30A... battery has a full charge.

Can someone help me figure out what I'm missing?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
The starter solenoid has four terminals two very thick ones that go to the battery and the starter motor, linking these without connecting the ignition switch should turn the starter.. and the other two starter solenoid terminals are thin wires red/yellow and red/green.. use a $10 digital multimeter set to dc volts and connect the meter across the two thin wires ( because it is a DIGITAL multimeter it doesn't matter which way round the wires are.. on dc volts it will either measure volts or - volts.. ) switch on the ignition and press the starter button with the bike in neutral and the kill switch set to run you should see 12 volts as you press the button.

John.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts