Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought a 1986 VT1100c some time ago, have had a few later models and no problems.

This one has been stood and 'robbed' for a few years.

The wiring was in a terrible state (cut off at the headstock) and I gave it to a sparky to sort for me which he mostly has.

It turns over but no spark, the guy supposedly found many dry joints in the ecu and set about rebuilding it, he fixes fighter jets so it is probably right now. Unfortunately his wife suddenly died and he lost interest in everything. I left the bike with him for 4 months as I hoped he would find interests again and hopefully one would be my bike.... anyhoos I have now fetched it back and it has wires hanging out all over it.

The bike doesn't spark at all and I don't know where to start looking.
I have also bought a brand new Reg/Rec because it was missing..... but parts over here are more rare than rocking horse poo. I can't even get a manual for this thing.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me to find the spark... everything else I can sort myself (probably) and I would love to get this old lady back on the road.

I have a meter and my workshop is quite well eqipped.

Anyone?.... pretty please

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wish I could help but I would be at a bit of a loss. I have to say though the 1100 in your sig is great! Is the bandit fork off a 1200? Great brakes too, how was all that done?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I could help but I would be at a bit of a loss. I have to say though the 1100 in your sig is great! Is the bandit fork off a 1200? Great brakes too, how was all that done?

Hi & thank you, it was bandit '400' coz I wanted to lower it at the same time.
It cornered superbly (for a custom) and stopping power was great.
Nice thing about that mod is I kept the Shadow yokes and the bandit forks just clamped right into em.. converted from £ to $ cost me about $90 for the parts... bought the complete fron end for $170 and re-sold the bits I didn't want...I always build my projects on a very tight budget.

Mac

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With no spark, first check the resistance of the pulse generators.

Yellow and blue wires going from under the seat to the right side crankcase right next to the clutch pack.
OK thanks, where will I find the required reading?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
OK, so the pulse generators are OK. Now do the simple check for spark. Using a plug, hook it to the coil and ground it to the engine. If there is spark then you have a fuel issue. If there's no spark then it's electrical.

With good pulse generators and good fuses there can only be three significant error points for no spark.
1) Coils (but they would both have to be bad for NO spark)
2) Wiring
3) EFI unit

Coils, no biggie, not too expensive
Wiring, a pain in the butt
Bad EFI, good luck!

HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks buddy, is there a test I can do with a meter on the efu and the spark unit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.