Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 vt1100 not pulling could it be the clutch? Was told mabe slave was bad so I Replaced the master cylinder and rebuilt the slave idk if air may be traped I bleed it like a brake system on a car if it's the clutch any one know a kit or parts list???
Back story I bought the bike didn't ride it personally ( first bike no permit yet) I had some one ride it to my house they said it shifted fine and everything well I get on to ride it down the street and back when I went from first gear to 2nd nothing happened just costed now no couldn't get it to pull again

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,976 Posts
When the stars align, Neutral has a nice green light show up on your panel when it’s engaged. If that never comes on, either the switch, wire or bulb has a problem. An experienced rider would know by feel, but if it’s your first bike... The other way to tell is in neutral, the bike can be easily pushed around with the clutch out. In gear, the clutch would need to be in for the bike to roll.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Is the clutch lever real stiff? It may have a problem inside the master holding pressure. But if it is new it should be fine. Unless the Master is a different ratio than a stock cylinder and has flipped the pressure spring backward. A few guys had that happen .

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
So just to make sure, you can put it in gear engine off, and push the bike?
Has the clutch lever now become softer since the clutch won't engage and pull the bike?
That may indicate the spring flipped backward.
I think you can take off the small cover and tap on the spring to flip it back if I remember correctly that someone said they did that.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,976 Posts
Could you ask that friend that rode it down for you to verify? Even without the clutch, with the engine off, you should be able to work the shift lever up and down. You should hear and feel a good solid ‘click’ or ‘thunk’ with each shift. You may have to move the bike a little as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just to make sure, you can put it in gear engine off, and push the bike?
Has the clutch lever now become softer since the clutch won't engage and pull the bike?
That may indicate the spring flipped backward.
I think you can take off the small cover and tap on the spring to flip it back if I remember correctly that someone said they did that.
Yes you can put it in gear and push the bike and what cover and spring are you referring to

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you ask that friend that rode it down for you to verify? Even without the clutch, with the engine off, you should be able to work the shift lever up and down. You should hear and feel a good solid ‘click’ or ‘thunk’ with each shift. You may have to move the bike a little as well.
You can work it up and down and here a it go into gear

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
The cover is the smaller round one on the right side. The spring is a cone shaped disc that puts pressure on the clutch plates.
You should be able to see if it is flipped backward, or outward, and not angled toward the clutch pack direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cover is the smaller round one on the right side. The spring is a cone shaped disc that puts pressure on the clutch plates.
You should be able to see if it is flipped backward, or outward, and not angled toward the clutch pack direction.
Ok will I need any special tool to remove and check for this ?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
No special tool to check or flip it, I don't think. If you take the clutch apart, you need a special socket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I made a short video I had a post on here some where asking questions on it but lost the page didn't have a video then
Any way bike will not pull when put in gear please help my first bike really wanna get to moving by spring so I can learn to ride it ...it I had some one ride it to my house it pulled fine I get on it just to move it to garage moved went to change gears and nothing stopped pulling

October 14, 2021

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,976 Posts
What were all those squeaking sounds in the beginning? Sounded like the gears were engaging, but was the clutch lever in or out? If it’s in gear with the clutch out, and you rev the motor while it’s on the Center stand, does the rear wheel turn at all? You could try that test with the slave cylinder removed from the bike to confirm if the clutch itself may be stuck engaged or not.

Weird that it worked fine on the drive down, but these things can happen with older bikes. How much room do you have to work if you have to remove the right-side engine cover?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What were all those squeaking sounds in the beginning? Sounded like the gears were engaging, but was the clutch lever in or out? If it’s in gear with the clutch out, and you rev the motor while it’s on the Center stand, does the rear wheel turn at all? You could try that test with the slave cylinder removed from the bike to confirm if the clutch itself may be stuck engaged or not.

Weird that it worked fine on the drive down, but these things can happen with older bikes. How much room do you have to work if you have to remove the right-side engine cover?
Not sure on sqea

Not sure the speaking sound it makes it when squeezing the clutch lever..there's no center stand on the bike unfortunately I have a ok amount of room if need to take cover off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts