Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the 85-86 VT1100 is really this cold nature or maybe its noisy fuel pump has something to do with it. You have to let it set and idle for 10-15 minutes before riding...which the user manual seems to not recommend because of carbon buildup.

If you try to ride it before this, even slowly (With choke on or off), it will only want to run on one cylinder and often die like it runs out of gas. Today, after letting idle for 3-4 minutes I eased out on my long driveway at almost idle speed and then turned onto the country road and basically road about 5 mph for 4 miles...anything faster went with one cylinder running, and after 4 slow miles it began to run just fine. No more problems. Are these things really this cold natured?

Reason I question fuel pump providing enough gas is because of the loud click, click, click it produces at first startups. And every now and again it will squill like a little pig when you first switch the key on. And after the first daily startup it never makes anymore noise. I've never heard an electric fuel pump make noise like this before and wonder if after it sets overnight the gas drains out of it and has trouble pumping up enough pressure after setting overnight...or are these 86 VT1100 bikes just really that cold natured?

Little problem...no problem...???

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not that cold. Somethings going on. Sure could be the fuel pump from what you described. You can replace it with one from your FLAPS. Just make sure it puts out the correct pressure, 3-4 PSI, around 25 oz. per minute I think.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine i let "warm" up for a couple minutes then all is good and im off. But i just had my carbs rebuilt and synced at the our local honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
No, the 85/86 is NOT that cold blooded. I have an 86, identical to yours (cept the windshield) and I'm off at full speed within 30 seconds. The 30 seconds is how long it takes to put on my helmet and gloves.
I am only at full choke on start. Half choke when I take off and about 2 minutes later I drop the choke entirely (at 55 degrees). If it's warmer I drop the choke as soon as I hit 30mph.

I'd suspect the fuel pump. Mine doesn't make those noises.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm with the others -- check out your pump and also the fuel lines (make sure no kinks). I've got an '87 1100 and normally choked for a minute or so, no need for more...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I replaced the fuel pump with original Honda product for $135 shipped since I find eBay $99 prices for 25 year old ones a little nuts. And within last year or so I had to go shopping for one for my F100...O'Reilly's had best local selection and best prices, some nice looking black small ones but when I asked about them he said they weren't all that dependable...good for weekend vehicles like go cart and dune buggy, but they didn't last all that long. And I didn't want a big ugly one like I strapped to the frame of my F100. Just hope I don't have to buy many Honda fuel pumps.

Much better, no more odd noises. No more dying. Still a little cold natured but nothing like before...after 3/10's mile from house to blacktop it still cutout when I gunned it. But in all, after about 1/2 mile it was ready.

Thanks for the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts