Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I go out and buy the tool(s)?
Or do I go to the local (non-Honda) ((Non-brand-named anything for that matter) shop and have them do one?

Do I need the tool(s)? No. But maybe I could mess with my lawn tractor or what if I get another old(er) bike?

Do I want them for other things or just to add to my meager collection of tools? What guy doesn't? ;-)

Do I know what the heck I'm looking for? Nope, but I can read up on it.....

Why this post? Will seafoam loosen stuff up enough to then cause a stuck valve, spring, or other weird thing as to cause the bike to smoke occasionally? I shoudl ad I personally have not seen it smoke but the wife in the car behind me says she saw "a lot of white smoke" once. A riding buddy says he sees it "every once in a while" and the club I ride with says they've seen it twice, "not bad though".

650 miles and I'm down a quart.... that can't be good.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Iif you are burning oil and the bike runs normally smooth, likely a compression test after it is warmed up won't show a huge problem.

Here is the old school rule for oil burning = if it smokes when you get on it, most likely the piston rings are the problem.
If it smokes when you let off the throttle and coast a bit, more likely it is leaky valve guides.
If you really had a serious problem, compression between cylinders will be way off.
The main thing to look for with a compression test is that all cylinders are real close in max pressure.

·
Registered
748 Posts
White smoke is anti-freeze burning in the cylinders, most likely from a bad head gasket. Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is too much gas.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yah, I forgot about the color thing. Other things to check, is coolant getting into the oil = you will see some "mayonnaise" looking crud in the oil.
Is oil getting into the coolant?
If any either oil or coolant drastically increases in volume, something is crossing over into foreign territory!

If coolant is leaking into the cylinders, that will cause the white smoke and your coolant level will drop over time.
In any case, if 1 qt. of oil disappeared in only 650 miles AND the bike has not been let sit for long periods of time, I would start seriously checking all options. A compression check will usually show if something is seriously bad, but not always if the rings are just worn enough to burn oil...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well the only time I have black smoke is when I forget to unchoke it. And only while it's warming up in the driveway.

Can't really take what the wife says. Smoke is smoke to her. She wouldn't be able to tell the difference between white and blue smoke.

I don't think the guys have ever told me what color it is.

Coolant level is OK

I went through a full Qt of oil in only 650 miles. So if not compression issues, and it pops like crazy when I'm coasting down a hill. Valve guides letting oil slip by?

I added some more seafoam tonight, haven't used any since I bought the bike back in May. But I don't have 5K miles on it yet. Wondering if the seafoam now will hurt it more? Too late now, it's in the tank, roughly 4oz worth.

Has to be oil. A compression test wouldn't tell me if it was rings or valves?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah.... plugs look nice and clean too. If I were burning anything but fuel wouldn't they show it?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A compression test on this engine is very difficult to get a good reading, with the carbs being vacuum and all, and really what is going to tell you other then the compression may be low!!.

The best test IMO is a leak test.

What you do is remove a spark plug and install a psi gauge, you pump air into the cylinder to a set pound and wait to see if the psi drops. If the set psi stays the same you have a good solid engine, if the psi drops!! you listen for the leak, if you have an air leak out the exhaust for example this would mean a bad exhaust valve, or if you hear it in your oil pan this would mean your wrings are done.

This is the best test to get an actual account of what is going on.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yah, a leak-down test will show if the rings are bad more clearly than a simple compression test.
If the plugs are not looking oily at at all, mebbe you have an oil leak somewhere. Does it drip anything right after stopping?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have ZERO puddles anywhere I park and the underside is nice and clean. It's gotta be burning it somehow. Planning to sell this Spring when I upgrade to a VTX 1300 so I want to fix it before I sell it. Wouldn't feel right selling a bike that goes through oil.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why why WHY do I keep forgetting ebay? I almost just bought one for $140.....
THANKS man!!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got 2 Lowes closing/closed right in my area. Bet I can pick up an inventory liquidation sale item right quick!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.