Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues warming up my '86 VT500. It will start right up but I have to let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before I can ride it. If I try to give it any gas before it's warmed up, it will die. Once it's warmed up, there's a slight flat spot/hesitation as your first turn the throttle but then it's fine as you continue with more throttle. Other than that it runs fine. So it's just when it's cold.

I left it out one winter and the fuel gummed up everything and so I had all the carbs and fuel system cleaned out but it still has the warming up issue. Unfortunately with 2 little girls at home I'm going to sell it :(.

So if it's an easy fix, I'll try to fix it. If not, I'll just sell it as is and hopefully I can find a buyer who can fix it.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are you using choke on startup? Is your bike engine or exhaust modified in any way?

I put the choke on, then it starts right up. Put on my gloves (15 seconds), then ride away. When the temp gauge goes from blue to red I turn the choke off. There are no flat spots or other issues in the first 10-15 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep. I always use the choke. It starts up just fine and will idle, but if I give it any throttle it will hesitate (major flat spot) and die if I keep the throttle on. I just got back from riding it and once it warmed up it was ok, but it still has that slight hesitation on the low end of the throttle.

What you describe is how it used to be for my bike until I left it out that winter. It just makes me mad that I was so stupid about that. I was really busy with a major house remodel and I just forgot about it.

No modifications on the bike. All stock.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Not trying to be a dick, But I'm really skeptical of most peoples definition of fuel system cleanings.

That said, its strange that you dont see any other anomalies in a warmed up condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya. But the guy that did the work runs a pretty reputable shop. I can't figure out what happens after it warms up. Seems like that "flat spot" or hesitation just becomes much less noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts