Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, long time lurker.

I have a problem with my bike. It sat outside for around 15 years and currently has no spark. I mean none, on either cylinder. Ignition coils test good and I swapped one just in case. Replaced the spark plugs on all 4 cylinders. Replaced the cdi with an ignitech. Pulse generator tests at 415ohms on both sides so little low, but consistent for both cylinders. I even shorted the clutch safety wiring to make sure it wasn't a bad connection there. I am at a loss.

Am I missing something. Is that pulse generator reading too low?

Thank you for your help. It's an old family bike I'm trying to restore.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
If you have a very good quality digital meter it may be closer to factory specs.
So they may be OK especially since both read the same.
Check for battery voltage at the black/white wires on the coils and at the ignition unit. It should be steady with the key on and the kill switch on. Any dirty contact up there will stop all the spark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a very good quality digital meter it may be closer to factory specs.
So they may be OK especially since both read the same.
Check for battery voltage at the black/white wires on the coils and at the ignition unit. It should be steady with the key on and the kill switch on. Any dirty contact up there will stop all the spark.

I'll take a look at that. How do I check for voltage at the ignition unit? I have continuity there and also the black and white wire on the coils.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
Put your meter or even a test light on those wires and with the key and kill switch on it should be constant.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
Here are the points where it should have good power.
If that is good, put a 12 volt test light on the other sides of the coils, the negative side, and see if it blinks when you are cranking the engine over. That is the pulse signal from the ignition unit to fire the coils and plugs. It has to blink or flicker when the pulse generators are signalling the ignition unit with crankshaft rotation.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts