Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody that had a VT500c or knows of them...please help

I took my fuel tank off my bike tonight in preparation for a tune up. I have been having problems with RPM's hanging up or increasing when letting off the throttle to shift gears. It has been suggested here on these forums that it might be a vacuum leak.

I inspected the vacuum hose that runs from the fuel shut-off valve to the side of the engine. Its fine and the hose appears in good condition. On top of the carbs there appears to be a t-fitting that goes into each of the lower vacuum cylinders. Those are connected tight and I cant find leaks. However, when I trace that hose that comes off of the carbs, through the t-fitting, and the one remaining hose coming from the t-fitting follows the frame, goes down past the battery, and ends down by the lower frame on the left side and is NOT connected to anything...it is just dangling. I know there is supposed to be a dangling hose over there, but its not that one..

I can tell it was at one time connected to something, because the end of the hose is stretched...but cannot find anything in the vacinity of the end of the hose that even remotely looks like a a place for connection.

So is the hose I described a vacuum line? If so, exactly where does it connect down low on the left side of the bike??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

EDIT: In reading another post, I realize that the T-fitted hoses coming from the carb may just be a vent hose. However, can somebody verify that?

Also, besides the vacuum hose on the fuel shutoff valve, are there any other vacuum lines on the VT500c (non-california)? If so, where are they??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the one you are talking about and it is a T-fitting too. It was other other t-fitting that I was talking about. From reading posts about similar model year VT700's, I am pretty sure I now know the answer to my question is that the hose I am referring to vents to the atmosphere...and that the vacuum hose from the petcock to the engine is the only vacuum hose...

But s3v3rth3stars -- on your bike, do you have a fuel filter on it other than the fuel screen inside the petcock? If so, where is it located? On my bike, the only fuel line is the t-fitting you mentioned and a 7 inch piece of fuel line that connects to that T and to the petcock...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
s3v3rth3stars said:
i was told by a very reliable source, that the only fuel filter is the one integrated to the petcock. i think it can be purchased at the dealership, i took mine out and it seems to be very very fine, so i doubt a secondary would be necesary unless you are scared of rust dust
Thanks, I thought so. I took my petcock apart last night and sleaned the screen and the bowl underneath it. The screen wasn't too bad, but there was a lot of rust in the bowl that I cleaned out. The fuel tank looks fine inside though. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts