Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe two related problems here, maybe not.

Mostly stock '86 VT700C electrically. Battery is a new AGM (after using one a couple of months I'd happily recommend them), other mods are a couple of extra headlights wired from battery to relay to lights (relay switched off ignition) and a clock/voltage display that is wired across the battery (with a 3rd wire going to the main light circuit for the backlight).

Off and on of late I've had an intermittent problem where if I pile on the power eg out of an intersection, changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd there's a pause where the bike almost dies. That said I do need to give the carbs a proper tune up and I expect that's the source of that problem.

Of more importance, I was heading out to a meeting today and had been travelling about 5 minutes with in town and then main road riding. Briefly (1-2 minutes) I had large drop of power which I initially thought was a dead bike but I realised I still had one cylinder going. However the rev counter dropped out and I also had the fuel/tail light warning lights come on (like when you turn the key one).

After this 1-2 minutes the dead cylinder sputtered a few times then came to life again.

Due to the rev counter dropping out while the engine was running, I am sure that this was an electrical problem.

I decided to abort the trip and headed a bit further to somewhere I could turn back, stopped briefly to send a message to the people I was to be meeting, then headed back. From the time the cylinder fired back up to the time I got home there were no further problems.

I've been checking over wiring but so far cannot find any issues.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all,
KiwiRider

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Being an 1986 Vt700 I would suspect anything in the electrical system..... I'd start with a complete cleaning and checking of the Key and Run/Stop switches, dirt here can cause this issue. Next I would inspect the charging system wiring, battery cables and the wires from the stator to RR are main suspects. Next would be resistance stesting of all 3 pulse generators and finally the coils and caps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You mentioned that your tach stopped working, it is powered by the yellow wire coming from one of your coils, that was a problem I had with mine. Found that I had a weak coil when it got warm. Worth a check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts