Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 VT700C and recently I noticed the neutral light will not come on when the engine is hot.

When I do a cold start, the neutral light comes on and the engine starts. If I were to put the bike in neutral after riding for 15 minutes, the light will not come on. Let the bike sit and cool for a period of time, the neutral light works again.

I did change the bulb thinking that was the problem. However, I still have the problem.

Any ideas?

I assuem there is a switch somewhere. Where is it? How hard is it to change?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'm at work right now (Don't tell the boss) but since I have the same bike and year that you do, if you want, I could send you a PDF of the pertinent pages of the Honda Service Manual. PM me, if this would help.

I haven't gotten too far into the tranny of my 700, but if it's like some of the other bikes that I've worked on, there is a switch on the transmission that needs attention. How far you have to take it apart to get to that switch varies from bike to bike.

Quick question: when it's hot, and the night isn't working properly, can you get it to come on if you jiggle the shift lever a little, or does it at least flash if you shift slowly from 1st to 2nd? Just want to eliminate a heat-sensitive connection in the wiring harness first.

However, since you state that it comes and goes depending on temperature, it may not be the switch. It might be a worn drum or fork inside the transmission that is not lining up properly with the switch when things are hot and (specifically) when the oil is thinner due to to heat. Don't want to worry you, but I'm throwing that out as a possibility.

--Justin

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just for the heck of it, tighten the neutral switch in case it's backed out of the crankcase a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.