Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, working on my kids shadow bobber conversion, just replaced the clutch plates etc after old plates finally gave out. After reassembly, bike won't shift. Cleaned out the slave master to make sure that push rod has movement etc. Reassembled the clutch. Still No joy. Read some threads possible shift rod misalignment? Thanks.
20190924_200902.jpg

·
Registered
12,505 Posts
That is a very common thing after removing one of the side covers. You will have to take the right cover off and align the teeth on the 2 shift shafts. You can see them through an opening below the clutch. Here is a video to show what it looks like when the teeth are correct the shift plate is centered under the bolt of the shift drum.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might explain why he couldn't get first gear during restart.. I'll try that next, we're getting good at draining the oil for sure.. Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
12,505 Posts
Hope it is an easy fix. Keep those old classics running !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, for sure. Looking for a couple more to tinker with and maybe one for me, if I can convince the better half...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes, for sure. Looking for a couple more to tinker with and maybe one for me, if I can convince the better half...
Its better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. My first bike I came home and said "Guess what honey, I bought a motorcycle for $100" she flipped. There was a whole "I cant believe you bought that without consulting me" rant followed by some other angry words. Then I inherited another bike. Then a buddy gave me another one. Then I got one for Christmas. Now I could come home with a truck load of bikes and I doubt she'd even notice, just stick em out back with the rest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI guys,

So whoever removed the right cover last stripped some screws, which I was able to remove with screw extractor sockets, where can I find the replacement screws, Amazon, ebay, or ?? thanks.

·
Registered
12,505 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so we're running after several Newby mistakes:
1. Drain oil, Had to create our own tool to remove nut, reassembled with new plates, reassembled but wouldn't shift.
2. Probably air in the clutch line. Bled the system, put everything back in, no shift, clutch handle feels weird..
3. Drain the oil,remove right side of Frame to get to right cover, remove right cover, had to use bolt extractor on seized bolts, align the shift gear as recommended, re assembled cover with new bolts, frame , clutch handle feels too stiff, no shift
4 drain the oil, removed clutch nut with special tool and reassembled the washer and rings in the correct order!!!!, clutch handle feels Normal per my kid, refill with oil, SHIFTS NORMALLY!!!! Kid went for a ride around the block to check gears etc... Finally..so had to create a new tool, remove right cover using screw extractors, align gears which you need really good lighting to see deep into the engine, remove frame to remove right cover, drained oil four times... All good times though.. Thanks for your help!!!.. Probably carb rebuild next.. Heard that removing exhaust buffers require carb needle tuning??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, back again. Worked for a few rides and then the gears did not engage again . Ended up towing it back home with a tow rope, that was interesting, cops gave us some looks but no issues. Drained the oil, I think we are at 6 now, Took the cover off check all alignments of rod teeth , checked the clutch movement, only thing I can see is that the shift spindle plate may not be turning the cam plate when shifting the footpedal but in whatever gear it's at it should move still which it's not.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts