Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been riding my 86 Shadow VT500 for about 2 months now. Ran fine until yesterday when I got caught in a downpour and as I was at a stop and turning onto a road it stalled out on me and hasn't started up since. The oil light is on, I've got it to start and idle twice since and the oil light went off. However when I went to take off it stalled out. After the second time I can't get it back to start. Getting fuel, has spark, oil is decent and where it should be. Sound's like it want's to turn over but just won't, even hooked it up to my car to jump it and sure it cranked faster but still wouldn't start. I'm thinking water in the cylinder and or airbox could be the issue? I did ride through a few puddles during downpour for a good 20 minutes. I thought maybe just an electrical short but everything should have dried out by now. Any idea's/advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
My main suggestion is to get a manual and go to the charging chapter and electrical chapter and do some checks as per that with a multimeter.

Your plugs and wires may need changed. Check you coils for cracks.

your oil light is working good it seems. Its an oil pressure sensor so with the engine off and key on your light should illuminate.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My guess would be water/corrosion in an electrical connector somewhere.

Dumb question, have you checked all your fuses? It's possible water shorted something and popped one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea just some water in the cylinders. took the plugs out, cranked it to get the water out and bam she runs fine now! thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts