Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my project bike, the run\stop switch has been bypassed completely. all wiring is taped together so that the only way to turn it off right now is the key. the manual doesn't indicate what the inside of the switch\housing should look like, so i have no idea how to fix it and what does where. can anyone shed some light on this? i think it is all intact, but would need a picture of what a good one looks like to verify. thanks in advance for the assistance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There has to be a reason they taped them together, probably just dirty contacts.

When you get it apart you will see 2 obvious places on the metal contacts inside the switch where the wires are attached (soldered). It doesn't matter which one goes on which place as the switch just breaks the power through the system. Give it a good cleaning and use dielectric grease on the contact points when you put it back together. If I can find my back-up switch I'll take it apart and take a pic for you.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
IMO you are better off shutting the bike off with the key anyway. These older bike will crank with the kill switch in the off position leaving you wondering "why won't my bike start". Plus you eliminate the chance of leaving the key on and draining your battery.

·
Registered
224 Posts
IMO you are better off shutting the bike off with the key anyway. These older bike will crank with the kill switch in the off position leaving you wondering "why won't my bike start". Plus you eliminate the chance of leaving the key on and draining your battery.
+1 on this. I have made my blood pressure rise to unhealthy levels multiple times because of this. If the start button wasn't on the housing with the kill switch I would remove it all together.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't forget to mention hitting the kill switch by accident as you are cruising. Did this on some turn and all of a sudden it got real quiet. I pulled over and before freaking out noticed the switch was in the off position.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Can't say I've ever hit the kill switch accidentally while cruising, but that would suck. Also, never had a problem with leaving my key in my bike let alone running the battery dead from it being on. I take my key with everywhere even if the bike is in the garage. You don't realize how important that is until you hear about someone's bike coming up stolen because they leave the key in it, even out of their "locked" garage. Worst part is that if you leave your key in the bike and it's stolen it's YOUR fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts