Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! So Ive an 87 Honda Shadow Vt700 that I had gotten for about 700$ two years back. Ridden it a bit, but then got to where I let it sit for a year sadly enough. Coming back to it, I needd to clean the carburetor and redo the slide diaphragms that had torn ( have two on the way as of now) but came across a single jet that I cant take out to clean. Its a smaller jet without a slot for a screwdriver or a wrench. Is their any way to remove this jet, or ensure that its clean atleast? Also, the bike had been straightpiped by previous owner. Would it need to be rejetted?

Second off, is the blinkers. I had gotten some shoddy mimics from ebay, but theyre tiny, and cheap as can be and already decayed to where they broke after a smal accidental rubbing. Anyone know of a near OEM style blinkers, or better replacements ghat would keep the stock look?

Lastly, the headlight is absoulute trash for driving on pitch black country roads. I do know that the headlight blinks a slight bit with blinker actuating or tailight actuating, would it just so happen to be an issue with it being slightly dim with blinks whe using other lights, or just old fashion 80s tech? Any suitable replacement bulbs to really brighten the road?

Attached are pics of the bike, with original blinkers. Also pointing at jet within carb

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
Don't try to take out that pipe just blow through it to make sure it is clear.

Ebay has some better quality lights too.

And I would check your charging voltage for the blinking headlight.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
There are 3 yellow wires that have a connector near the votage regulator that gets hot and melts and causes a low charging voltage. They are from the stater to the regulator.

·
Registered
1984 Magna VF700C
60 Posts
That jet is probably fuel outlet for the choke - Put some compressed air through it to clean it out. It’s not removable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 3 yellow wires that have a connector near the votage regulator that gets hot and melts and causes a low charging voltage. They are from the stater to the regulator.
This actually melted/ charred about 1 year into riding the bike! It did killnit while riding when it happened, but we also replaced the melted section with but connectors. Had this probpem seemingly before the meltdown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So an updoot; cause Ive been working Hurricane Laura Reliefe. Got back to the bike and worked on the carb, but had to buy new slide diaphragm. Recommend this guy here; he makes these diaphragm replacements for alot of old bikes. Useful as can be! But; the boots for the carb are tearing up. Ive tried to find lowers and uppers, and only a set of lowers are showing up, which is nice to know Im not gonna have vacuum leaks; but dust and grime in louisiana is no joke, and kinda need something air tight. Any idea as to how to possibly get a new set? Ive hear of radiator hose; but have no idea as to how to warp/afix the tube from the air cleaner duct to the carb being it requires a specific bend, as well as two differing diamaters... also to throw into effect, that gas and non petroleum resistant rubber are not the best thing to mix with together.

On a side note, does anyone know a good way to actually REPLACE the carb into the boots? Because unlike the other models, the 87 shadow has those massive air cleaner duct that gives hardly any tolerance, and is the resulting reason for ripped boots.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The air cleaner should be off the carb completely when you mount it on the engine. Then you remount the air cleaner in place. Boots will be hard to come by, but I’ve heard of the ‘harder rubber hose’ solution as well. As for that upper tube, that’s crankcase ventilation, so any heat/oil resistant flexible tube, and a step-down connector is you need two separate sizes, should do the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the reply. I was able to re-install the carbs and get them settled with some difficulty, but got them in. The bike took a good time to crank proper, as it kept flooding out. Had to disconnect the fuel pump after the float bowls where flooding. Hut after drying the cylinders and the plugs, putting it all back together the engine fired and ran.

However,its having some issue. The bike is straightpiped, so its easy to tell that the lsft side exhaust had a diffrent tone/ wasnt firing at low throttle. Mid to WOT resulted in the back most cylinder starting to fire evenly with the front cylinder, but it would cut out as soon as the throttle closed below 1/2 throttle.

Both carbs are supposedly synched, but no confirmation. they sound the same and put out the same exhaust smell (a little rich from both, but not exceedingly) once both are firing, but sound a little diffrent once they are. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
You might check compression just as a possibility.

The float levels may be high if it constantly overflows.
Screw both idle mixture screws in GENTLY till they stop, and turn them out 1 1/2 turns- then try 2 turn ,etc, etc.
That may give you some idea of where to go .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts