Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 88 honda shadow 800. Its been in a barn since 2013. Carbs were locked up. Need help on how far to tear the carbs down before berryman soak. Also need a sourse for carb rebuild kits. I cant find the bottom intake tubes from bottom of carbs. The tops are reuseable but would prefer replacements.. Also not sure where to post about my old 79 cx500. Is there a cx forum? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Welcome. The 1988 vt800 is a one year model. But very similar to the 1986-87 700.
Carbs locked up means the throttle shafts are stuck?
You might try Seafoam as an easy cleaner to try before tearing them out.

The bottom tubes may be the drain hoses from the bowl drains, but not needed just a drain port.
I put hoses on mine to down below the engine area. Handy to loosen the drain screws and let the fuel run out if you want to check it or refresh the fuel in the bowls.

Here are some basic kits

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the welcome. I did get both the throttles moving and I do have them removed with floats and needles and air cut off removed. I didnt want to go further until I got some help. I'm pretty good but not a carb expert .At this point, can the carbs as a set be soaked in berry-man carb /parts cleaner without damaging any rubber or seals that are still inside of the carbs? I did see that kit on ebay. Do you think that would do the trick? Also I need the two bottom rubbers to the intake as they were hardened and broke coming off. The top ones are stiff but re use-able. Ive heard just a right size piece of hose will do? Again, thanks and I appreciate the help. Scott

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Mant imes if the insides are not too crusty you can brush and clean with carb spray and not hurt anything. Don't seperate them if you don't have too. You can bench sync with a feeler gauge also before you put them on so both throttles open the same amount.
The CV carbs are too difficult, just pay special attention to the pilot jets as they are so small of an orifice it gets clogged and a lot of guys miss it and take them apart again. Maybe just get new ones, unless you can see through the tiny hole through the jet. And the slide rubber diaphams have to be perfect with no holes.
If the intake boots are cracking best replace them now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts