Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so previously I had what sounded like problems with the rectifier/stator then fuel pump (described in previous posts). After hours on the phone with multiple different motorcycle mechanics we came to the conclusion that the CDI box is no good. Was told that if I tried to start the bike with a very low battery it could fry the CDI box and will no longer be functional. I'm wondering if there's any way to check the box, all research says there's no way but being a $300+ part I want to try to find out for sure. Also any tips on where I can find a new one, 1988 vt 1100.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,327 Posts
If the CDI is bad you have no spark or one cylinder with no spark, is that what is happening?
Before you change the CDI you make sure you have power to the coils and CDI, check all the connections, and the resistance of the pulse generators first.
They feed a signal to the CDI to fire the coils.

The stater, rectifier, fuel pump, will not cause a no spark so that is why you need to know if it is a fuel or spark issue.

Always smart to jump the battery with a non-running car battery, so you have the power for your testing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts