Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’m right at 6’ and the stock handle bars on the 88 VT1100 sit a bit close to me plus I’m not sure the fish hook shape is the most comfortable. I thought of moving them forward but from the threads I read that doesn’t work out too well. I’m not into ape hangers I don’t want bars that will have me leaning forward like drag bars. Has anyone found a solution for an 87-98 VT1100? Or any other model year that came with a similar set up?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hard to tell from your pix (knowing dimensions would help) but I assume you are describing 'buckhorn' bars similar to older Sportster and Suzuki Marauder handles. Consider looking at Sabre or '98 to 2002 ACE bars. With 33" width, 12" pullback and only 3" rise, they are good for longer arms. I see longer throttle and brake cables in your future as well.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
How 'bout some "Baby" Apes. The one in my Pic are 8" tall. They are the stockers off a HD wide glide. IF I recall they are 8" rise, 3 3/4" pullback and 34" wide. Currently mounted in Vaulcan risers. Rises are going to a 3" tall x 1.5" pull, when I get the mounts adapted for 1/2 post.
Sit on bike, hold hands in front of you where you want them on a ride. MEASURE. Find bars that put the grips where you are holding your hands.

The SEAT can often be the real source of low back pain.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to tell from your pix (knowing dimensions would help) but I assume you are describing 'buckhorn' bars similar to older Sportster and Suzuki Marauder handles. Consider looking at Sabre or '98 to 2002 ACE bars. With 33" width, 12" pullback and only 3" rise, they are good for longer arms. I see longer throttle and brake cables in your future as well.
Here is a little better picture taken with my phone b4 leaving for work. Would you call them "buckhorn bars"?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Consider looking at Sabre or '98 to 2002 ACE bars.
I googles some pictures and I like the look of the ACE so that gives me a starting point.
Sit on bike, hold hands in front of you where you want them on a ride. MEASURE. Find bars that put the grips where you are holding your hands.
Great advise! I'll do some measuring and see if I can find some that "fit me".

Thanks for the input all!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yes, I'd call those 'buckhorns'. That style can also present major vibration issues because of the spring action created by tension in the bending process. VLX/Aero bars (intermediate width and pullback) might be a better approach than ACE/Sabre bars.

My prior still holds but you might also consider going to a very wide Harley bar that has a long straight run where the handles mount, then saw them back as needed to avoid cable replacements. There are tons of alternative HD bars out there like:Harley 04 XL Low Rise Speedster Handlebars. | eBay I'd suggest you develop width, rise and pullback 'ideals' and shop from there.

Finally, some guys just buy long drag bars and take them to a tube bender and get them tweaked just right. Realistically, to get where you want to go I suspect you'll need to swap control lines and extend wire no matter what you pick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.