Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Common problem, but I am curious if there is anything VLX specific here.

I have a '92 VLX which I have recently rebuilt. It has new sparkplugs, piston rings, battery, carbs cleaned, etc.

The bike starts with a press of a button when nice and warm. In the mornings, when temperatures go down to mid 40-s in Tucson, I cannot get the bike to start. It will crank without issues, but will not start up.

I have tried using the gas enricher, pulling on the throttle, and all plausible combinations. I have choked the air with my hand on the airbox, etc. Nothing will do the trick. It just does not want to start when its cold. Then I go home from work in the afternoon and it starts without any issues.

When I ride it I do hear a slight whining. It only does it when in gear and at higher RPMs. I assume it is either the starter clutch or the starter itself, but I don't know. Could that be an issue?

Well, maybe some of you can give some ideas!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Do you have spark at all the plugs when it fails to start? If so, I'd check your choke for proper adjustment, no throttle.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
What mods did you do when you did the rebuild? When it's cold, I just pull the choke/fuel enrichment knob all the way out and start. I use no throttle at all.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
the battery has to provide starter motor with electricity with enough electricity leftover to power the ignition coils since both circuits are powered on at the same moment that you press in the start-button. A bad starter might be starving the ignition coils out, abate, in your situation, only with cold temperature. Have you tried push starting? Don't press the start-button, just release the clutch to get the engine spinning as would be done by the starter motor except without the electrical drain. Pull in the clutch lever as soon as the engine spins and roll on some throttle. Might just need new brushes or the accumulated grit on the commutator dusted off?? Old bike.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oil level or the wrong temp range of oil can cause cold start issues.. Colder it is the thicker oil gets causing more drag on the starter and robbing power away from the ignition.. U can check the oil bike strait up dip stick just resting in the fill hole.. Oil should only be about half way up the crosshatched section of the dip stick.. To test if its a temp issues with the oil place a heat source under the bike or next to the trans case to keep the lower half of the motor warmer.. A work light with a 60w bulb underneath the bike close to the motor case will work

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You may want to test, charge or replace the battery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the ideas!

I got it started today morning, but it did have a hard time. It stalled multiple times. After a few times I gave it a large throttle once started and it remained at idle.

The choke works, as the the idle is higher while it is pulled out, but it probably could be adjusted. The battery is brand new (a few days old) and charged.

So far my suspicions: too heavy oil, starter, plug coils (which have some deposit on them). I'll test the sparks on them one morning and put in a light oil.

Any new ideas welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have managed to get it started in the past few days, but it wasn't easy. However, I did notice that there is some contact issue in the "start" button, so that could explain why I couldn't get it to start at all in one morning.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts