Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 Shadow vt1100---The left fork is leaking. Should I repair just that side or both. What is a good place to order parts online, and are there kits that have everything you might need. I did use the search function, but so many of the threads didn't mention parts used etc. Thanks

Kenny4

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered lots from All Balls Racing
Excellent complete kits from ebay.
Quality stuff and it was cheap.

Put 2000 miles in 2 weeks with no issues.
Rebuild both shocks

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Rebuild both, and I’m with @redlined_b16a , the All Balls Racing seals and dust caps are excellent. They take pressure better than stock seals and in 3000 miles I have zero complaints.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
745 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts, I can't find where to just edit my first post. ........
Take a look at the three vertically arrranged dots located in the upper right hand side of your post and click the cursor there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,554 Posts
All Balls products are not that good of quality. Save yourself the grief and use OEM fork seal components. I replaced rear wheel bearings with AB product and wasn't much better than the bearing I replaced. Seals are very well documented as crap on the Valkyrie Forum. Remember you get what you pay for most the time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I basically agree. I'll be having someone else replace the seals so I want to have the right parts for them. Is Seal #51490-mn8-305 and Dust Cap #91254-mm8-oo3 the right parts and is that all I'd need. Also would this 92 VT1100 take #10 or #15 oil. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
672 Posts
If you’re taking the forks apart to replace seals I would always replace the bushings at the same time. Bushings are the wear component inside your fork sliders, seals just hold the fluid in. Bushings that have worn too much can start to become ever so slightly oval, which will allow the tube to tweak the seals and if they’re worn they will blow the new seals out in short order.

Reactions: kenny4

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you’re taking the forks apart to replace seals I would always replace the bushings at the same time. Bushings are the wear component inside your fork sliders, seals just hold the fluid in. Bushings that have worn too much can start to become ever so slightly oval, which will allow the tube to tweak the seals and if they’re worn they will blow the new seals out in short order.
Prevouis owner of my bike changed the seals only and they leaked about a week later.
I got the bike and done a complete rebuild.
The left fork that was leaking badly wore down the bushings alot and the oil has a high content of metal powder.

Should be a law that if you change the seals change the bushings.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks again for the input---Would this bushing kit be what you are referring to. And #10 or #15 weight oil, ( 2pts. one for each side ). Thanks Smilie, I changed it to 2 pints.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Thanks again for the input---Would this bushing kit be what you are referring to. And #10 or #15 weight oil, ( 2qts one for each side ).

Don't try to put a qt. in each side. I don't know about your tubes, but mine only take a bit over 16 0z each side. The manual says 15.1-15.2 oz for your bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks again for the input---Would this bushing kit be what you are referring to. And #10 or #15 weight oil, ( 2pts. one for each side ). Thanks Smilie, I changed it to 2 pints.

Your kit does not include the fork shaft seals

I ordered this kit(will not fit your bike)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At Smilie, ( or anyone ), You said---" The manual says 15.1-15.2 oz for your bike. " Can you please look in that same manual and verify what fork oil weight is recommended. Thanks---Also thanks to Redlined for looking up that link.

Kenny4

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
At Smilie, ( or anyone ), You said---" The manual says 15.1-15.2 oz for your bike. " Can you please look in that same manual and verify what fork oil weight is recommended. Thanks---Also thanks to Redlined for looking up that link.

Kenny4
The Clymer VT1100 manual I have doesn't state what weight of oil, but the OEM Honda manual for my 750 calls for 10w. You could go to 15w, but the ride would suffer some. Some use ATF, which I was under the impression, was more like an 8w.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
672 Posts

I am using that exact kit for my fork bushings and I have zero complaints, they were extremely well made and the packaging included both the top tube cap O-rings and the proper copper washers for the bottom slider bolt along with new seal retention top clips. You’ll have some leftover bits as the kit is designed for more than one ride, no worries.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts