Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to being my own mechanic, so I'm seeking advice before I dive in. Here's the symptoms:

At higher rpms the engine acts as if the fuel is cutoff -- very similar to when the main tank runs dry, except with extra spurts of power mixed in. It doesn't matter what gear, even neutral. If I rev it up beyond a certain point it starts to sputter. If I back off the throttle then it goes back to normal. So I can drive around as long as I don't accelerate hard. The top end is only about 65mph now, though.

My guess is that the carb needs cleaning. If so, is it worth trying one of the fuel additives first? If not, what else should I check?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
First step is to check/replace the fuel filter.

What you are describing is a classic fuel filter clogged up.

It will run fine at idle or at a low cruising speed, but any high
RPM or slight load on the engine and it acts like it's running out of fuel?

Check the obvious, first.

Fuel filter is under the seat, right next to the fuel pump.

Hope that helps.

G

·
hjones1380 said:
My guess is that the carb needs cleaning. If so, is it worth trying one of the fuel additives first? If not, what else should I check?
You're correct. If your bike sat unused for more than a couple months, your carb jets are clogged up.

Before tearing into the carbs, run some SeaFoam carb cleaner in your gas. The stuff does work pretty well. I add 3 ounces to a full tank of gas. Do this for a few tankfuls and you may see a change.

·
Registered
324 Posts
DynoBobSlick said:
hjones1380 said:
You're correct. If your bike sat unused for more than a couple months, your carb jets are clogged up.

Before tearing into the carbs, run some SeaFoam carb cleaner in your gas. The stuff does work pretty well. I add 3 ounces to a full tank of gas. Do this for a few tankfuls and you may see a change.
Ditto

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't thought of the fuel filter -- I looked at it and it was pretty gunked up. $5 later I got a new filter on there. Revving it up in the driveway sounds better, now I'll take it for a spin and see if I need to do the carbs too.

*edit* well, the fuel filter was clearly a problem, but not the problem. It's more responsive now, but still beyond a certain limit the fuel just seems choked off (with occasional full power sputters). I got some SeaFoam, so I'll try that method next.

Funny you should mention the bike sitting around. My battery died a while back and I was lazy and waited 2-3 months before I got around to replacing it.

mental note: be sure to turn the fuel selector back to 'on' after working on the fuel line...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.