Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have decided to repiant the bike this weekend. In the process i ordered new tires and plan to paint the rims as well.

I got the back lifted using jack stands but how do you lift the front ???? The engine hangs down so low that the jack i have wont work, but i still cant figure out how i would lift the front! I

want to get the front wheel off so i can start painting it and get the new tires on!

Any help would be appreciated.

P.s.i cant use a pully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have a bike jack with the flat square top area, guys use 2x4 to match the frame rail to lift it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I did, only needed 1x4s for mine. Worked great and bike was very stable
Can you show me a pic? I just dont feel it will stay i dont know. Maybe if i see it, it will feel a little better to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is the lift I have:

I drew in blue where I would have the 1x4s. When I placed under the bike I moved it forward and backward to find the center sweet spot as far as weight distribution goes. I was surprised at how steady the bike felt on it
1596571302257.png
. I bought this after reading tons of reviews. My bike dry is a little over 500lbs (99 VT750 ACE) and many guys who left reviews had much heavier bikes. I use a ratchet to lift/lower instead of the tool provided, it's just easier. Also I like that when it's closed its the size of a big shoe box, doesn't take up much room to store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will attempt something like this tonight when i get home from work. I willpost some updates either way.

Thank you all for your help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lift isnt wide enough. Still trying to figurr it out. I think im going to get two more jack stands and put them under the cross bar in the front of the of the frame under the radiator.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My lift isnt wide enough. Still trying to figurr it out. I think im going to get two more jack stands and put them under the cross bar in the front of the of the frame under the radiator.
Took some of that perforated angle iron like you'd see on heavy duty shelf uprights and bolted extensions on my motorcycle lift rails, extending them out a couple inches on either side., then cut and glued the rubber pads pulled off the jack on the ends.

As for the 1100, I use one of the scissor jacks like posted above, but with nylon posts on it cut to different heights to match the frame tubes and notched using a hole saw for the frame tubes Mine is a Derek Weaver Blackjack:

It will lift either end high enough to get the tire and wheel out. Been meaning to get a couple more posts made and try lifting the whole bike with the large plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sorry for the delay on this. This is what i ended up doing. Little wobbly but it works.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you ever need to raise just the front, for example to change brake pads, all you have to do is find any kind of auto jack that will fit beneath the engine pan. With the bike on the side stand, transmission in first gear, and the jack placed as far forward as you can get it, but still secure so it won't slip, just raise the jack until the front wheel is off the ground a few inches. The rear tire and side stand form two points of a triangle, while the jack forms the third, so the bike will be stable. I saw a YouTube video on that method somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. It's quick, easy, and safe.

·
Premium Member
1994 GL1500SE Goldwing
965 Posts
My lift has 4 adjustable posts so I was able to make it work that way.
Before I bought the jack, this is how I did mine:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts