Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question on another forum and one of the members suggested that I post here. So here goes.

I've got a question about a '95 Honda Shadow Spirit. There's one for sale here locally that has ~32k miles. The bike looks to be in great shape in the pics. I haven't had a chance to get an up close look at it yet, but was wondering if 32k miles is too much to even worry with. The asking price is <$3000.

The bike does have all of the options that I'd like on a bike (windsheild, saddle bags, crash bars with hwy pegs, corbin seat with driver and passenger back rests, etc. etc). All I would have to add is the rider.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

edit:
Forgot to mention that this is an 1100cc

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Run like the wind!!!

Just kidding, that sounds like a very good deal, keep in mind that model year is a 4speed tranny, which is not a problem, but the later models moved to 5spd. I run 4th up to about 60-65mph before even considering an up shift, so 5th is for really stretching it out on highways.

I believe the older ones have more power too. The extras that are included are very expensive and stuff you would want....so yes it's a good deal, if it starts easy and shifts pretty smoothly (they are notorious for clunky shifting) and you can run it on the highway and it pulls well in high gear to the 65-70mph range and feels like it has a lot more to give, I would be jumping on it. Listen for ticking at idle after fully warmed up.. If it's not too bad and it goes away with a little throttle, that is fairly normal.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I first thought $3000 may be a little high for a bike with 32,000 miles on it but the owner could easily have spent $3,000 on adds. Allong with what you have mentioned it may have after market pipes, jet kit, progressive suspention, and some chrome adds. 32,000 miles is also less than 3200 a year. I think you need to look at the bike, take it for a ride and decide for yourself. Nice thing about this bike is that it doesn't look much different from a new 1100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cbjr0256 said:
keep in mind that model year is a 4speed tranny, which is not a problem, but the later models moved to 5spd. I run 4th up to about 60-65mph before even considering an up shift, so 5th is for really stretching it out on highways.

quote]

My father-in-law has an '01 Shadow Sabre that is a 4 speed. He has no issues with needing a 5th as far as I know. I've ridden his several times and don't remember feeling like I needed another gear, although I'm not into a whole lot of speed. If I wanted excessive speed I'd be looking at a sport bike. I have a 200cc dual sport that I use as a commuter now, but it isn't enough bike for 2-up and the wife feels left out.

If mama's not happy...well you know the rest. :)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The price is right in the range where it should be. The power is more then adequite. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 4 speed transmission. It does an excellent job flying down the super slab at 80 mph all day long without missing a beat.
I would try to find out who owned the bike (some dealers will get you the information if you ask) and see what kind of history the bike has and other pertinant information like maintenance intervals, oil type, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is for sale by an individual who has owned it for the last three years (second owner), so the maintenance history (at least for the last three years) shouldn't be a problem.

My main concern is if there is anything particular to Shadows at that age/mileage to look for. If is was a Chevy truck, I'd know to ask if the AC compressor has been changed, if the transmission has been worked, etc. I'm not as familiar with the bikes, so I'm trying to find out what I need to be looking for when I get a chance to look at the bike and if there are problems typical of Shadows of this age/mileage.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
truthfully,if it cranks and runs down the road straight,i wouldn`t be the least bit concerned about it.
to add to what others have said, honda shadows are among the most trouble free,inexpensive,bikes you can own. i have had 4 and 5 speed and i wouldn`t turn around for the difference in the 2. like was mentioned,"80mph all day on the super slab is no problem" and there is plenty of torque available for the rather high 1st gear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go for it

I have a 95 with the four speed and it's no problem. You stay in the power curve in 3rd up to around 60 or so. I have 30,000 on mine and have no intention of getting rid of it for a long time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just for reference, I bought my '03 750 with 3000 miles on it last summer for $3900. Similar 1100's were running about $5500 - $6500. It had a windshield and saddlebags on it, otherwise stock.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you get a chance to ride it, I would accelerate and decelerate sharply in each gear to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear. Transmission problems can be costly on these bikes, but for the most part, they should be good for a lot more miles. 32,000 miles would not bother me. I sold my VT700 with 30,000 miles and it ran great.

Just a couple technical comments on this post:

'95 Honda Shadow Spirit
I think that technically, Honda didn't label any of the 1100 Shadows a "Spirit" until 1997. The 1987-1996 VT1100C models look like the 1997+ Spirits, so some people call them a "Spirit" by association, or to distinguish them from the 1100 ACE models which came out in 1995.

My father-in-law has an '01 Shadow Sabre that is a 4 speed.
All the manuals I have show 1996 as the last year for the 4 speed in a Honda 1100 Shadow, so if there is an '01 Sabre with a 4-speed, it may have a replaced engine from an earlier model.

·
Registered
37 Posts
beowulf said:
Just for reference, I bought my '03 750 with 3000 miles on it last summer for $3900. Similar 1100's were running about $5500 - $6500. It had a windshield and saddlebags on it, otherwise stock.
Likewise...I just purchased an 03 Shadow 750 Spirit with cobra exhaust, hypercharger, bags, windshield, sissy bar and K&N Filter for $4000. It has 5600 miles. If the bike is right and fits you, this size/year/miles, anything under $5K is good in my opinion.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. I sold my 95 VT1100c last June with 48,000+ miles on it for $3500 and all I had added to it was a Hondaline windshield, Jardine fishtail pipes and small saddlebags. BTW, after riding it for 3 years and 30,000 miles it sold for the same money I bought it for. Now that is holding value. It was a great bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input from everyone.

I'm convinced that the mileage isn't a major issue with this bike. My problem now is trying to get to see the bike before it's sold. It's listed locally and on ebay and there have already been a few questions asked to the seller on ebay that said they want to buy the bike. In fact the seller said that he'd take $2600 in one of the answers on ebay.

Unfortunately i'm in the middle of a shutdown at work and haven't had a day off in four weeks, and there is no end in sight. I fear that the bike will be gone before I get to it. Thakns again for everyone's input/advice.

Worst case, I'll have some knowledge of this type of bike when the next "good deal" comes around.
Best case, I'll beat the other bike hunters to the punch and get a look at this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts