Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all I'm fairly new here. I ride a 95 vt1100, but between COVID lockdowns and some personal life stuff, didn't touch the bike for a long time. Before I left it sitting, the clutch had broken somehow, and of course after sitting, it doesn't want to run. So I figure as I take it apart and clean/repair/modify, I would document it here. Hopefully people will be able to help me, get help or ideas from my experiences, or just enjoy the pics.
Day 1 (today) - pulled the old bars off, put some T-bars on, and rerouted the cables so it fits

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! So far my ideas are as follows:
1. Finish repairs - clean or maybe rebuild carb, figure out my clutch problem(s)
2. new tires (probably doing this last when I have more money)
3. paint - paint fenders and tank candy red, paint seat light-ish brown or dark beige
4. exhaust wrap, purely for aesthetics, will just wrap over the heat shields as I very much like the shape/lines of the stock exhaust
5. raise the rear shocks an inch or two from stock

Not in any particular order ^

I also am interested in some recommendations for the finishing touches cosmetically. Any good headlights (thinking LED) and lower profile turn signals I should be aware of? I'm thinking cheapo rubber grips to replace the ones I mangled. Also, I've seen the baffle removal AKA "holesaw mod" videos on youtube, and am interested in getting a lower/throatier sound. Anyone here done that? Can you drill holes or does it have to come all the way out? Does it require rejetting? How much louder than stock?

any answers much appreciated; you guys are way wiser than me lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would do some research before wrapping over heat shield. I'm a rookie at this but wouldn't that create a hot spot between shield and pipe? I just did wrap on my pipes but I pulled heat shield all together off.
20210106_072249.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would do some research before wrapping over heat shield. I'm a rookie at this but wouldn't that create a hot spot between shield and pipe? I just did wrap on my pipes but I pulled heat shield all together off. View attachment 291681 View attachment 291682 View attachment 291681
Hey thanks for the input! If I leave the wrap a few inches of space between header and wrap and a few inches between wrap and muffler would that leave space for extra heat to be dissipated a little?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Got one pipe done today, deiced to give the wrap a shot anyway. Google and forums basically said it doesn't do anything too bad if you wrap over heat shields, and I don't plan on having this bike for many many years so if I have to swap exhausts at some point, so be it. Hardest part about this was keeping it clean bc I'm working outside. You can see in the pictures the amount of stuff that flew on the wrap in just a few minutes! The pipes were cleaned regularly while doing it, and I cleaned the outside off after these pics. I think I should probably silicone spray them to keep everything protected a little from debris. Reason for such little progress today is that my truck broke down :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey thanks for the input! If I leave the wrap a few inches of space between header and wrap and a few inches between wrap and muffler would that leave space for extra heat to be dissipated a little?
Sorry for late response busy days lately wrap looks good on there.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
370 Posts
Let me first say that I've never done this kind of re-build but I'm surprised that you're doing all this other cosmetic type work on a bike that's not running. What's the thinking for that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me first say that I've never done this kind of re-build but I'm surprised that you're doing all this other cosmetic type work on a bike that's not running. What's the thinking for that?
I agree it ain't the most intelligent decision, but basically my reasoning is that I already have some extra paint and exhaust wrap, so that isn't costing me anything. I got the handlebars real cheap a long time ago bc of the deal. I don't have a ton of spare money, so I can't afford to buy a new bike, ergo I'm committed to this one if I want to ride. It was running before I left it sitting, so I'm really hoping the fixes won't be too massive of headaches.
Reason for the order I'm doing it is that since I have to pull seat and tank off to get to carbs (and air filter), I should probably just get the pain of having those all off and the fenders to paint so I don't have to take them off again later. I'm also new-ish to a lot of the cosmetic stuff and a little bit of the real wrenching, so this project is also a big learning/practice experience for me on top of being a build. That's just my reasoning to do it; I would not encourage anyone to do it this way 😃

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
370 Posts
I agree it ain't the most intelligent decision, but basically my reasoning is that I already have some extra paint and exhaust wrap, so that isn't costing me anything. I got the handlebars real cheap a long time ago bc of the deal. I don't have a ton of spare money, so I can't afford to buy a new bike, ergo I'm committed to this one if I want to ride. It was running before I left it sitting, so I'm really hoping the fixes won't be too massive of headaches.
Reason for the order I'm doing it is that since I have to pull seat and tank off to get to carbs (and air filter), I should probably just get the pain of having those all off and the fenders to paint so I don't have to take them off again later. I'm also new-ish to a lot of the cosmetic stuff and a little bit of the real wrenching, so this project is also a big learning/practice experience for me on top of being a build. That's just my reasoning to do it; I would not encourage anyone to do it this way 😃
Makes perfect sense to me. Like I said, this is something I have never attempted. Best of luck with the build.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tackled removing the carbs today

intakes covered up with shop rags and besides some old tubes and a little bit of cleanable dirt, the area around the carbs looks pretty good!
The carbs, however, are FILTHY

The heart of the beast! Tomorrow, I will clean these out thoroughly. Maaaybe start painting too

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,246 Posts
Good to see you are covering the intake ports. Any small screw will kill your engine. You can stuff paper towels in them so you have more working room in the area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to see you are covering the intake ports. Any small screw will kill your engine. You can stuff paper towels in them so you have more working room in the area.
Thanks and yeah I thought about paper towels. I'd imagine taping them off is probably easiest?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,246 Posts
You can do both.
The paper towels help if any liquids seep under the tape as you are cleaning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks swifty! I'm gonna go ahead and do that. My only bike so can't be too careful with the important bits lol.

I'd also like to add before I do any carb work later that the last person to do work on this thing used color-coded zipties instead of clamps, so it's super obvious as to where the lines all go. Brilliant imo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So today I took apart the carbs today and it reminded me that EFI is such a great invention lol.

filthy ^

neatly disassembled ^

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nothing individual seemed to be a smoking gun, but there was lots of gunk throughout, especially in the upper "lids" of the float section and bowls. Gave everything a good spritz with carb cleaner, wiped down the small parts and carb body interiors manually, dried the main body with the air compressor, and re-assembled. Tomorrow I'm hoping to reinstall the carbs, then drill the holes in the handlebars for the control housing studs. Autozone was out of 5gal jerry cans today so I'll have to wait to drain the bad gas out of the tank

1 - 20 of 38 Posts