Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
Did you see light through the tiny orifice of the pilot jet?
That is the most easily plugged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you see light through the tiny orifice of the pilot jet?
That is the most easily plugged.
IIRC, the left one (rear cylinder? I'm not oriented without pictures) was blocked. And the right main jet was unobstructed, but had gunk in it. They all got sprayed through and wiped down with carb cleaner. Obviously checked them all for equal light coming through before re-installation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Pics of some of the green gunk found in the casings and jets ^^^
Luckily, the o-rings, rubber, and gaskets were still useable. I think I'm going to order a new air filter today and hopefully find a good 5gal jerrycan to drain the bad gas out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hahaha the forums blocked the first image as 18+
Looks kinda like an alien heart or something. It's wet bc I shot water through it but whatever is in there is in there good, and doesn't want to come out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks to Google, I found out it's the storage tank for the air system.
Honda TANK, STORAGE Part # 17551-MM8-000
Is there a good way to clean this or am I going to have to replace it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can try some degreaser like, simple green or purple power mix it with some warm water and let it sit for an hour or so, and rinse it well.. you may have to do it more than once tho.. I've had some luck cleaning out fuel tanks like that..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Putting something like BBs in there with some type of cleaner/water and agitate/shake it should knock off the crud.
BB's or anything the will fit thru an opening will work and you could use OMS or carb cleaner instead of water/cleaner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You can try some degreaser like, simple green or purple power mix it with some warm water and let it sit for an hour or so, and rinse it well.. you may have to do it more than once tho.. I've had some luck cleaning out fuel tanks like that..
Thank you!! I'll try that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy y'all I'm fairly new here. I ride a 95 vt1100, but between COVID lockdowns and some personal life stuff, didn't touch the bike for a long time. Before I left it sitting, the clutch had broken somehow, and of course after sitting, it doesn't want to run. So I figure as I take it apart and clean/repair/modify, I would document it here. Hopefully people will be able to help me, get help or ideas from my experiences, or just enjoy the pics.
Day 1 (today) - pulled the old bars off, put some T-bars on, and rerouted the cables so it fits View attachment 291672 View attachment 291673
I put the krator 1300 retro headlight on my shadow

Howdy y'all I'm fairly new here. I ride a 95 vt1100, but between COVID lockdowns and some personal life stuff, didn't touch the bike for a long time. Before I left it sitting, the clutch had broken somehow, and of course after sitting, it doesn't want to run. So I figure as I take it apart and clean/repair/modify, I would document it here. Hopefully people will be able to help me, get help or ideas from my experiences, or just enjoy the pics.
Day 1 (today) - pulled the old bars off, put some T-bars on, and rerouted the cables so it fits View attachment 291672 View attachment 291673

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So yesterday, I got around to working on the bike some more (sorry for lack of posts, life has been busy). Took the advice of Ken and Grizzly and used some basic degreaser with warm soapy water for a few soak/rinse cycles, shook up metal BBs, dumped them out, repeat. Actually got most of the gunk and grime out!

After being cleaned out it looks good ^

and then the nasty before for reference ^

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
All the air system and carbs are back together and in the bike. Going to change the plugs and filter soon, drain the gas out of the tank, and run seafoam through for a tank or so when it's running

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I might make a new thread when the time comes, but off the top of your head, any input to this issue would be greatly appreciated. It's my clutch that's gone out in the same way twice now.
So here's what happened:
* First time: I was riding home, came up to an intersection that has a lot of cross traffic and noticed I was going too fast. At this point I'm in 2nd or 3rd (we'll say 3rd), so I immediately pull the clutch in, start braking decently hard, and click the shifter down twice to be in 1st. As I click down into 2nd nothing happens, and I only feel normal vibrations from the bike. But as I downshift into 1st, as I'm clicking the shifter down, I feel like the vibrations of something inside are hitting the shift pedal - almost sounded like grinding. Either as I shifted or right as I let the clutch out, I hear a small pop. Now the clutch LEVER won't pull in at all. It feels like a front brake. And the clutch plates themselves obviously aren't engaged. The bike is for all intents and purposes in neutral.

* I called a local mechanic bc I didn't want to deal with that headache, and he came and towed it and took it to the shop. He calls me later in the week, says he opened the clutch up and was trying to push a plate back into place or something similar, and something in the clutch just clicked back deeper into place than it was when he opened it, and test rode it on city streets and highway and it was fine. Basically charged me nothing bc of how easy it was.

*Second time - a month or two later. I was coming home and same thing basically. Pulled up in the left turn lane to turn onto my street, as I'm coming up to the yield sign, I pull the clutch in and drop 2 gears. Same story. Feel like extra vibrations are coming through first gear as I hit it, slightly rough shift, and a small pop. Same story again. Bike rolls around fine, shift lever goes up and down fine. Literally it's exactly the same as the clutch being held in, EXCEPT the clutch lever feels like a front brake and won't move

I know it's fixable outside of transmission bc that mechanic did it and it ran great until it happened again. First, I'll obviously stop clicking down multiple gears on this bike lol. Then, definitely going to bleed the lines and check the slave and master cylinders. Could the pushrod/actuator be having issues? Plates and springs? I just want a direction to look before I rip the whole thing apart, so getting input early

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is the clutch is building up pressure and can't release it properly and it over-extends and pushes the clutch spring backwards.
So the lever is tight from the pressure but the clutch spring won't apply pressure to the discs.
Easy fix for the pressure issue if that is it.
Clean out the clutch master cylinder and find this very tiny return port and clean it out with a needle. Put in new fluid.

But you will also have to go in and push the clutch spring back in position like he did.

I am going by a Haynes manual that shows 1985-1996 models with the steel cone spring.
If yours is different that will change things.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
First thing that comes to mind is the clutch is building up pressure and can't release it properly and it over-extends and pushes the clutch spring backwards.
So the lever is tight from the pressure but the clutch spring won't apply pressure to the discs.
Easy fix for the pressure issue if that is it.
Clean out the clutch master cylinder and find this very tiny return port and clean it out with a needle. Put in new fluid.

But you will also have to go in and push the clutch spring back in position like he did.

I am going by a Haynes manual that shows 1985-1996 models with the steel cone spring.
If yours is different that will change things.
Thank you! That sounds like it actually could be it. I'll keep you all updated when I get to it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

mounted the flipped mirrors with some like $5 ebay clip on mirror mounts, got rid of that bug antenna look

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got my filter and plugs yesterday, put them in, and drained the gas tank.

If you look closely there's actually leaves in my air filter!! Ordered an oem replacement for cheap, put it in, wiped down all that dirt.
IMG_20210121_131742.jpg

21 - 40 of 42 Posts