Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I will try to keep this short and to the point. Driving to work and couldn't get passed 55mph eventually not even passed 25mph. Come to find it was the negative battery terminal that was coming out (assume from vibration!). So tightened it with locking washer and tightened the positive as well. Seemed to work to get me home but noticed the dam TEMP light would come on when I had to slow down in traffic in second gear. Any one know why it would come on in second gear then go right out? I checked the neck at the fill cap (when it was cold) and antifreeze was at the top. I tried to look at the reservoir and even with a flash light its hard to see if there is enough in there.

Any help is appreciated and welcomed as this is my daily driver. Also with the vibration how often are you guys checking nuts and bolts? My rear fender bolts came out on one side on the drive home!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Electrical:
The correlation between 2nd gear and the temp light going on, has to be like science. Meaning, you can duplicate it and the same think will occur again. So how I think; is to place the cold bike in 2nd, turn the key on, shift to 3rd. Light come on or go out? Didn't think so.

The question is... can you duplicate it each time as per scenario?

- Edit -

This is more to pencil in a service interval. Can be every oil change, every second oil change. As things are draining, I have all the sized wrenches and allen tools in one hand. I start at the front and walk my way back. So it's fork pinch bolts, front axle, and work from the bottom up, over, down, and back, till I'm done, test loading every bolt, nut and allen, I can physically reach without pulling parts off. Hand feel what I can't reach with a tool.

The load test is just to see if I can move it. I don't want to over tighten hardware that is already tight. I'm simply looking for the obvious loose hardware if I simply load the wrench on it. You'll know loose once you walk the bike 360° touching every piece of hardware.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,361 Posts
When it has cooled down, take off the rad cap and look at the rubber seals, they must be in good condition. And fill the radiator to the top.

Reactions: "Captain D"
1 - 6 of 6 Posts