Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum so it’s nice to be here! I have hit a bit of a snag on a bike I’ve been working on. I’ve got a 96 vt1100c that has been sitting since winter 2014. I’ve gone through everything I could think of and it still won’t crank. Turns over but doesn’t crank.
so far here’s a list of everything I’ve tried and or replaced.

•Added brand new fuel petcock
•removed all rust and corrosion from gas tank and sealed it using por15 tank sealer to prevent further rust
•cleaned the air filter
•took off the carb and took it apart, replaced all the jets and o rings using a carb rebuild kit
Fuel filter was clogged with the bad gas so I replaced the fuel filter with a brand new OEM filter
•replaced all 4 spark plugs with new ones and gaped them correctly (there is spark)
• added a fresh k&n oil filter and threw in some fresh 10w-40 full synthetic to give the engine a good scrub down inside
•also drained the rear differential and added fresh 80-90 inside

Still it will not crank! If you guys have any suggestions on some things I could possibly try or if I have over looked something that would be amazing.
The only thing I haven’t tried yet is swapping the fuel pump out. I’m trying to avoid that as it’s on the pricier side I was trying to do all the cheap troubleshooting first before I start buying a bunch of parts that may or may not fix the problem.
Any feedback will help. Thank you guys in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does the engine have good compression?

Did you check for spark?

Can you hear the fuel pump working?

Were the carburetors (there's two of them, right), thoroughly cleaned and all the passages blown out?

I'd pull off the air ducts and dribble some gas right into the throats, or shoot some starter fluid in there, to try to get to the bottom of things.

·
Registered
'97 Shadow Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
177 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arizona! 🌵
I'm confused... "turns over" and "cranks" are the same thing. :unsure:

So I think what you're trying to say is that when you press the starter button, it does indeed turn over/crank the engine, but is failing to fire and start?

If that's the case, I would check to see if you're getting fuel to the carbs. You haven't mentioned the fuel pump in all the prior work you've done... did you check that it's pumping and that fuel is actually getting to the carbs? If not, could be a dirty, or non-functioning fuel pump relay, or simply a dead fuel pump.

Lots of posts on here about how to verify its working and what to do if it's not. Best of luck, as it sounds like you're very close to getting her running! (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum from Arizona! 🌵
I'm confused... "turns over" and "cranks" are the same thing. :unsure:

So I think what you're trying to say is that when you press the starter button, it does indeed turn over/crank the engine, but is failing to fire and start?

If that's the case, I would check to see if you're getting fuel to the carbs. You haven't mentioned the fuel pump in all the prior work you've done... did you check that it's pumping and that fuel is actually getting to the carbs? If not, could be a dirty, or non-functioning fuel pump relay, or simply a dead fuel pump.

Lots of posts on here about how to verify its working and what to do if it's not. Best of luck, as it sounds like you're very close to getting her running! (y)

yes my apologies, it cranks but it did not start. I finally got it started a few minutes ago and it was idling fine I took it down the road and it started to bog down I was able to get it back to the house but now it’s barley idling and anytime I twist the throttle it Boggs down and turns off. I tried adjusting the a/f ration and still no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
'97 Shadow Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
177 Posts
Very glad you got it to start up... you're getting there! (y)

Seeing as you've been into the carbs, I again have to ask if the fuel pump was checked? If not, it may be OK at idle, but not able to deliver the fuel needed under load. Assuming the fuel pump is working OK, when you went through the carbs, did you check that the floats were properly adjusted? Also did you check the slide piston diaphragms for any pinholes, tears or cracks as that would also cause the described problem too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts