Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of the year last year I started having battery problems. It kept dying, so I would put it on my 6 amp charger. Finally when it died the last time I stuck it in the shed for winter.

This week I got it out to get her ready for the year. I flipped on the neon lights and to my surprise they came on. So I put the battery back on the charger, and an hour later it said it was charged. I hit the start and got nothing. As I pushed the button I did notice the idiot lights brighten, then dim. Same as I released it.

No clicking or any response from the bike. I assumed its the battery and have a new one on the 6amp charger for when I get home from work.

So my questions are:
1) is the 6amp charger too much for these batteries?
2) If I get the same response tonight with the new, charged battery, where do I start checking first? Starter solenoid?

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
I`ve read here this week, 2 A chargers are the most we should use on motorcycle batteries...
Check out Boiled my battery thread :(

What to check IF it retains symptoms described?
Check the Starter Button & read Switch Cleaning 101sticky...

Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if it's shot, I guess it's good I kept the receipt. Also, the stator wires that I plan on soldering this weekend, are they by chance the connector with the 3 yellow wires right next to my battery under the cover? I didn't see a connector with 3 yellow under the seat.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
I am unfamiliar... I have VT750...
But yes, look for heat damage at the connector for those three yellow stator wires, wherever it is located...

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
Just for kicks & Grins, I would Do a diagnosis per Electrosport diagram, to determine the charging system is functioning correctly, is my suggestion...
Link in Useful Links sticky...

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
At the end of the year last year I started having battery problems. It kept dying, so I would put it on my 6 amp charger. Finally when it died the last time I stuck it in the shed for winter.

This week I got it out to get her ready for the year. I flipped on the neon lights and to my surprise they came on. So I put the battery back on the charger, and an hour later it said it was charged. I hit the start and got nothing. As I pushed the button I did notice the idiot lights brighten, then dim. Same as I released it.

No clicking or any response from the bike. I assumed its the battery and have a new one on the 6amp charger for when I get home from work.

So my questions are:
Depends upon your charger. Can you select between small 12 volt battery or utility? That usually drops the amps to 1.5-2.0 amps for charging our bike batteries. Is it an automatic charger so it kicks off or goes into a trickle mode when it senses the battery is fully charged? I've been a big fan with Shumacher chargers to maintain and charge my auto, marine and bike batteries.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I won't be using it again. However, battery was fine, 12.75v. Installed and thank god she cranks! Now I just need to drain the carbs and tank and get her some fresh gas and seafoam

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
However, battery was fine, 12.75v.
Maybe. You need to have it load tested. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. You can even do it yourself with a voltmeter -- though that's less reliable if you don't have one that can "hold" a reading. (I do not have one of those.) The basic issue is that a battery can "report" voltage of 12+ when there's no real draw but still be damaged enough that it cannot deliver anything when needed.

As for chargers: Yuasa recommends calculating the ideal charging amperage by dividing the battery's amp-hour rating by ten. (e.g. For a battery with a 14 amp-hour rating you should be using a 1.4 amp charger.) There's some leeway in the numbers but NOT enough to fit a 6 amp charger.

·
Registered
52 Posts

So my questions are:
2) If I get the same response tonight with the new, charged battery, where do I start checking first? Starter solenoid?
I doubt that you have "boiled" the battery or done any other harm to it. Does the headlight come on? Is it bright? Could be that battery simply is old, or has a shorted cell. Even so, you should at least get a "grunt" out of the starter when you attempt to start. If not, I would strongly suggest a frozen , ie rusted, starter solenoid. Other things to check might be clutch switch, kickstand switch, neutral switch, kill switch. (Anything that prevents the starter circuit from completing.) But first, if you have access to a known good battery, why not try a jump start? If you don't have another battery, can you somehow bring this one to an auto parts store? Many of them will load test a battery for free.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a new battery on her, and got her to start and worked the old gas through her. At idle I'm around 12-13v on the new battery, but upon revving I'm staying at 12v. Stator wires all tested .8 ohms. Assuming the stators good and the issue is the R/R.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
You need to check the Stator for output voltage. Use this chart to troubleshoot--http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf
If the stator is putting out proper AC volts, then use this test--http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/diode-testing-guide.pdf to check your rec/reg. Did the connector from stator to REC/REG look in good shape?

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tested what I could before I left for work, which was only the ohms. Connector looks good, I guess I overlooked stator voltage. Lack of sleep is getting to me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.