Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
chuckaroo said:
hi new guy with a problem my 96 -1100 shadow dies after i ride it about 1.5 hrs. in HOT weather can anybody HELP me ???? chuckaroo im asking U?[/b]
Does it die all of a sudden or gradually loses power and finally keels over?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I had something similar happen after I re-built my boat motor. Turns out I had the valves too tight and after the motor got good and warm the expansion from the heat opened the vavles enough that the engine lost compresion.

It didn't take an 1 1/2 hour to do it, but was the same symtoms that you describe. Started fine, ran fine for about 1/2 hour then sputtered and died. Wait 15 mins and it would start right back up. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bike would just die-but after it cooled down it would fire right up? someone told me vaporlock? i just know it only happens when its HOT out ? hope somebody can HELP me- i want to ride alot with the price of gas the way it is & good weather on the way!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well, that’s an easy fix. If it vapor locks after riding 1.5 hours in HOT weather, just stop after 1.4 hours and put in some fresh, cool fuel. Then it won’t vapor lock.

In HOT weather, you should stop often and fill your stomach with fresh, cool water anyway. :)
Al

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a fuel volume output test you can do to help determine the cause.
It's a bit hard to describe without pics, but if you are interested shoot me a PM. I can send you a scan of the pics.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I can almost assure you it's not vapor lock.

There is only a little over a foot of fuel line from the tank to the filter/pump (if so equipped)
and a little bit more from there to the carbs.
Vapor locks 99% of the time happen in vehicles with metal fuel lines between the tank and the front end.

It's highly unlikely that you'd have a vapor lock in a rubber fuel line
especially one that is less that 2 feet in total length.

Just because it dies all of the sudden doesn't mean it's fuel related either.
Electronics get hot and crap out, then start working again after they've cooled down.
Try checking for spark after it happens.... see if the plug is firing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a car once that did this, exactly. Turned out to be a fuel pump. One inside the tank was cactus! It was all blocked up with gunk. The one OUTSIDE the tank was trying to suck through the buggered one AND get the fuel up to pressure. Only happened in hot weather too.
Hope you get it fixed!
Nice weather, can't ride....Bugger.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You'll want to check your fuel filter first. And maybe the little vent hose to the tank could be pinched somewhere? If it's pinched or blocked for some reason, it will create a vacuum in your tank and starve the engine from getting fuel. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
chuckaroo,
To check for vapor lock, replace your black fuel lines from the petcock to the fuel pump with clear PVC fuel hose. Next time it dies in hot weather, look for large bubbles inside the fuel line. Small bubbles of gasoline vapor are common and don’t hurt anything.

Vapor lock is a common problem on the KLR650’s, especially if the owner has installed an inline fuel filter. The fuel line is short, but when the fuel in the tank is warm after riding for several hours, fuel can vaporize in the line enough to cause vapor lock. My KLR would vapor lock the most on warm days in April with winter grade gasoline. Filling the tank with cool fuel always took care of it for me.
Al

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/clear_pvc_fuel_line/

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
Electronics get hot and crap out, then start working again after they've cooled down.
Back when I worked at Ford (late 1970s to early 1980s) we had a LOT of problems with this on some models because of "poorly potted" EEC modules. "Potting" was inverting the (magnesium?) housing with the circuit board in it, pouring in sand, shaking everything, pouring in epoxy and letting the epoxy harden. Voids in the sand and/or epoxy (I forget exactly.) would allow the circuit board to expand when it got hot and sometimes it did so much that the electrical pathways separated. Everything went back to "normal" when the EEC cooled down. This problem caused me to HATE my 1980(?) Torino -- especially frustrating because I worked in the division that made the EECs. (I did get free replacements and no-cost installation but I also ended up being a product tester and had more than a few frustratingly long trips home -- and it seemed like they were all in the rain.)

Anyway, I can support litnin's claim and even provide an explanation of one way in which electronics can fail when hot yet perform fine when "cool".

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
adlowe said:
This problem caused me to HATE my 1980(?) Torino --
It wasn't fire engine red with a white arrow stripe going down both sides
and across the roof, was it? :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.