Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just recently picked up my first honda shadow on the weekend and have some plans to turn it into a bit of a bobber nothing crazy. i just wanted to know what's the best way of taking off the fork covers mine are chrome and bulky and would rather it be more sleek and on the lower part of the forks i wanna put fork boots, i know a little about mechanics nothing crazy but would it be fine taking those covers, for reference there are what im referring to.
off?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Others have done that and no harm done.
You may have to slide the whole fork tube down to get it off but I think i remember some just cutting them off.
Some of the other guys can help that have experience there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Much easier to just pull the fork tubes out, Probably time to replace the fork oil anyway. That and you might be cutting up a couple hundred $ of parts... Spray some WD40 in there, there are rubber bits around the tubes that keep the covers from rattling, tubes won't slide out easily otherwise....

The covers add something like 4.2 lbs to the fork. Note any windshield/lowers etc that mount to those covers will also no longer work.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,394 Posts
It is easy enough to do.

I removed the brake caliper, supported it with a wire and detached the cables from the fork and disconnected the speedo drive. I jacked up the bike good and high and undid the pinch bolts in the triple tree and sprayed WD40 in there, then slid and wiggled the whole fork leg assembly out of there, wheel, fender and all. The fork had previously had the oil and springs changed so I didn't bother to remove the caps this time.

I remember it was fairly heavy when I wheeled it out of the way. IIRC there were then a couple of small hex bolts holding the upper and lower covers to the triple tree, my windshield mount was not affected as it used the triple trees and not the tubes, but I can see how some might be.

As they say in the old Triumph manuals "reassemble in reverse order."

I think all told it took me about half an hour of wrenching, after an hour of staring at it and months of thinking about it.

I think 4 lbs of weight saving sounds about right, that was one of the inspiring factors for me.
It had been stuck in my head after reading about it on the sadly missed 750ACE.com and that posting was written by a guy called IIRC "Cleve", so I should thank him I guess. (-;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts