Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first Shadow. Nice bike. Bought it without key, with title. Previous owner claims:
5 months ago husband parked it after riding it.
5 months it sat. Battery shot, needs new. Should start.
Naturally, without the key, i aint so sure.

Ignition switch bypass -
Cut 3 wires leading to cylinder. RED / BLUE&RED / RED&BLACK.
connecting both reds works. What about blue?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,484 Posts
A little later manual shows the red as power in - the red/black as powering most of the fuses- and the blue powering the fan fuse.

Reactions: Marshallscottw1

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Before you do, there's no need to 'cut' any of the wires especially if you plan on replacing the keybox later. If you trace the keybox wires, there'll be a factory 4-pin connector that you unplug. You'll be able to plug-n-play the replacement when you get it which you won't be able if you snip wires. As a temporary measure, solder or crimp on some blade connectors [edit] to a jumper and plug the jumper into its respective blade terminals on the 4pin-connector.

I used bullet connectors because the thieves tore apart the 4pin-connector and I didn't have a 4pin connector to work with. Obviously, pulling apart the bullet connectors shuts off the ignition.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Just stumbled across an old photo of the jumper. Like this with female blades but it's the same with male blade terminals..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you do, there's no need to 'cut' any of the wires especially if you plan on replacing the keybox later. If you trace the keybox wires, there'll be a factory 4-pin connector that you unplug. You'll be able to plug-n-play the replacement when you get it which you won't be able if you snip wires. As a temporary measure, solder or crimp on some blade connectors [edit] to a jumper and plug the jumper into its respective blade terminals on the 4pin-connector.

I used bullet connectors because the thieves tore apart the 4pin-connector and I didn't have a 4pin connector to work with. Obviously, pulling apart the bullet connectors shuts off the ignition.
View attachment 284361

View attachment 284364

View attachment 284362
4-pin connector?
Ive removes the old Ignition switch/cylinder and unplugged it from the harness, it was a 3-pin.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't like bandying semantics. Many shadows use a 4pin-connector and leave a slot empty for the ignition switch. From now on, fix your own bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts