Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’ve browsed already and can’t seem to get a definitive answer I’ve tested my bike to the moon and back over the past two weeks and can’t pin point an issue.
Only things I have no tested yet are stator and stater.
The bike has 21,000 KM’s on it
Battery is on charger gets 12.9 Volts
I am in Canada it is cold right now
New oil change with Lucas 10W40 full synthetic
Fuel filter is a little dirty just cleaned it out now.
Fuel pump is pumping strong
Spark plugs are new and getting spark gapped to 0.35 NGK plugs
Kill switch and starter switch getting power and working great
Double checked grounds and cleaned them up.
I do have aftermarket head light and tail light on the bike.
Now currently does not have coolant in it I flushed it out.
Side stand wiring looks good and works
Neutral safety switch has been unplugged (yes it started without it plugged in 4 weeks ago)
My compression in -8 Celsius was 130 PSI all 4 cylinders dry.
I texted the guy I bought the bike off of and he said “ya it doesn’t start when it’s cold you need to put a heater next to it for an hour and once the engine is warm it’ll crank rate up.”
Now I haven’t tried that yet
I took the carb off to check the float and the bowls the carb had visibly been cleaned as it was spotless no small pieces of anything or any build up to seen or found
It has velocity stacks and open exhaust.
not sure what kind of tuning was done to it but could find out from old owner.
I also put new gas in it the day I started having issues.
So I guess my question what is going wrong? Looked over my lines too no visible fuel or vacuum leaks.
when I crank it the starter goes strong but then starts to die out and almost drag and I can hear an almost “consistent burp” coming from below the engine. I wish I could link a video.
I also checked the new oil and there is no visible change in consistency, smell or visible deformity. It’s oil and smells like it gas hasn’t leaked down into.
Sorry for so much reading but I wanted to detail as much as possible off the top of my head to rule out any issues or suggestions I’ve already tried.
If anyone’s ever dealt with this before or maybe has a potential fix let me know please.
Plan on testing starter and stator tomorrow when it’s warm out maybe even trying to get the bike going.
Will update as I test
Thank you in advance
Linked a picture of the bike for viewing pleasure

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
First thing is to jump it with a non running car battery. Chargers don't keep up with the demand of a starter drawing 80 amps. That way you have all the power you need to crank and power the ignition strong.
If it still won't fire up test for battery voltage on the black/white wires to the coils. If that is always there with the key and kill switch on then examine the signal side from the ignition units.You might see if the plugs are fouled now after cranking a while.
The compression is not very good did you have the throttle open? And it is only 2 cylinders so leave 1 spark plug in and test the other side for compression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing is to jump it with a non running car battery. Chargers don't keep up with the demand of a starter drawing 80 amps. That way you have all the power you need to crank and power the ignition strong.
If it still won't fire up test for battery voltage on the black/white wires to the coils. If that is always there with the key and kill switch on then examine the signal side from the ignition units.You might see if the plugs are fouled now after cranking a while.
The compression is not very good did you have the throttle open? And it is only 2 cylinders so leave 1 spark plug in and test the other side for compression.
Update on the bike thank you for your reply my friend I appreciate it. I hooked up my car directly to the starter solenoid and cancelled out the battery all together. It appears the battery is the stupid silly issue I should’ve checked in the first place. I’m going to try and start to the bike while by passing it now. Hopefully it starts up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the bike got its fuel hooked up and it cranked over nice and fast but to no avail it would not start at all. Took the tank back off and sprayed some carb cleaner into my Velocity stack and boom rate up ran for a solid 30-40 seconds fuel still left in the system from my trying to start it a minute ago.
so it starts, it runs, it idles healthy revs up nicely. Why won’t it start with the tank on? Maybe coils are weak or ignition coils are ?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
If it runs with the tank off the coils must be doing fine. Unless the tank is shorting out some wires. Make sure the kill switch is on. But there may be a lack of fuel from your fuel valve,pump,filter, etc. It should always have about 1 or 2 ounces of fuel in the carb bowls, when you loosen the drain screws near the bottom of each bowl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update again. I put the tank back on, jumped the bike directly from the battery cables, let it run for 10-15 with fresh coolant and topped it up as it bled. Connected the cables to the battery and boom she fire rate up, set my air fuel ratios screws to the factory standard and rev’ fit up a phew times she didn’t die out or anything. Wondering if the battery is toast or is really touchy then?
Such a stupid and easy fix if I can just get it out of the box cause it is tiiighhhttt in there.
thank you guys for all your help I’m pretty sure it’s a battery issue now but I lift the bike up every time I try pulling the battery out lol

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,215 Posts
Take your wife's, girl friend's, mother's cake spatula or buy one for a buck at Dollarama.
The flat metal one with the plastic handle.

Run it around the battery between the battery and case.
Spray some WD40 or something in the crack.
Give it a couple of minutes.
Use a piece of cord through the battery terminals for a handle* and that sucker should pull right out of there.

*Or zip ties. Learned this one here a week ago or so.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
Replace the battery first.
Then do this simple test after you inspect the 3 yellow wire connector from the stater to the regulator. They are a weak spot if they get hot and melt.

Put your meter across the battery and see if at rest it is at least 12.5 volts.
Then watch it while you crank it for 10 seconds and it should be above 9.5 to 10 volts.
Then while running see if it can stay up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts as you rev it above 3000 RPM.
That will tell the basic health of the battery and charging system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts